Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

swap for HD rear end

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Default swap for HD rear end

Gentlemen,

On my way to work today I was wondering if i could grab a rear end out of a newer HD and swap it for my rear end. We just got snow and a locking differential would be nice as my truck isabase 1500 reg. cab w/ the 4.8 2WD. The added hook up would also be nice for booting around town.

Is there anything that i should consider before jumping into this? Will it bolt right up to my current drive train? Is there any way i can identify the gear ratio by VIN or other number inside the truck? Could i put my six bolt hubs on the HD rear end? How hard do you think it would be to swap? I'm fairly mechanically inclined but i've never done this before.

Much thanks,
Justin.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Default RE: swap for HD rear end

I would recommend installing a locker or limited slip in the stock rear end. This would be a lot less work and more than likly cheaper than trying find and install a HD rear end.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:31 PM

much cheaper to install a locker. And there are so many selectable ones available now. That is the route I would go. I like ARB, and they have bene around a while, but you have to get a small air compressor as well, and they sell a small one. There is also e-locker which is electric, and others which are mechanical.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 PM

Why not grab a 4x4 rear from a junkyard. If you locate the same year it should install the opposite of pulling out the OE rear. As for ratio, get the VIN from the donor truck. Around here you can get the whole rear end for $75 to $125 at the U-pull-it.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:01 PM

Man Cracker, that is a good price. You can't get close to that here.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM
TruckForum Addict

Could you do the same thing with a z-71 and swap for a 4:10 if one could be found. Also could someone get one from like a 2003 or so that has disc breaks instead of rear drum or would it be alot of work? Thanks

Old 12-05-2007, 08:28 PM

The master cylinder may have different ratios for the disc rear. Plumbing it in shouldn't be a problem. In my opinion, my '06 stops better than my '01 and it doesn't hav 4 wheel disc.

Smoke - What's the going rate at a junk yard up there? I think the price is low here because there is a lot of competition from similar yards.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:43 PM
TruckForum Addict

Thats true i just know disc breaks and not drum i guess i am going to have to learn about drum breaks now.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Hunt -you would have to change alot with the brake system to get it to act right, and it would be expensive. Also drums are no harder than discs. Also the discs were wearing out quickly and warping the rotors.

As far as the axle swap, you would also need the front differential.

Cracker - around here you are looking at $400 minimum for an axle, and that is for an 80s model. I haven't looked for a 2000.But everything here is way too expensive. Damn Yankees, go home!!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a look around at the local yards and see how much the rear end would cost. Is the hub swap possible (8 to 6 lug)? Is there a section on the VIN that will tell me the ratio or will i have to go to a dealer and get them to look it up? maybe the wrecker will know?

Anything else i should consider?
Excuse my ignorance haha

Justin.

Quick Reply: swap for HD rear end