Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Switching to Tow Mirrors PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Question Switching to Tow Mirrors PLEASE HELP

I need help gentlemen. I currently have power adjustable, and heated mirror. I want to upgrade to the larger tow mirrors because my truck is lifted and blindspots is a issue. I want to add the signal feature when I do but I have no idea what the part number would be. SO for all you gurus out there... I have a 2008 LT 1500 Silverado, and I believe all you need is my last 8 digits from my vin# 81145573.

I heard something about a RPO number in the glove box but I dont feel like freezing my *** at this moment to get it. If needed I will.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Beginner

Hey TexZ71,

Try this page, lots of how too.installing tow mirrows on a chevy truck - YouTube

Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Default Thanks

Good videos, but part of my problem is that the dealership says it can not be done. Then they told me that I should talk to one of their mechanics.... Mechanic just said its expensive. I want the part number and I'll do it myself if it can be done.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator
Old 12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Beginner

I bought a 2500HD last week and it had the standard mirrors but I got the dealer to swap them for the camper mirrors at no charge. It is a dealer option for a new car at $240 but after that they are a retail item at considerably higher cost.

I saw people commenting on various forums that when adding the camper mirrors to a truck that the factory module would be different and that the turn signals in the mirrors would not work. I was pleased to find that these people were wrong and with the new camper mirrors the turn signals work and the mirror adjustment (up, down, and to the sides) works perfectly as well.

The newer versions of the models need to be manually pulled out. I was told by the dealer that GM switched as the electric powered ones broke all the time. I can believe it as I have seen similar problems with powered antennas over the years.

People at dealers and auto parts stores usually tell you what they think is true but seldom say that they do not know but will check. If you have power mirrors now and camper style mirrors are available as an option for your model and year truck then they should work. I would stick with the GM mirrors and not try to save a few bucks with the aftermarket ones.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks for all the help gentlemen. Now to find the part number

Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

The link I posted from eBay gave the part numbers.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM

The label on the packaging from when I bought my tow mirrors for my 2008 Sierra says GM 19202235. This is the set of both left and right tow mirrors power, heated and LED signal, but non-powerfoldback. These replace RPO DL8 factory installed mirrors.

I took them back off my 2008 before trading them in for the 2011, but have yet to install them.

Truth is... Im no mechanic, and I had the door panels apart, the old ones off and the new Camper mirrors on in less than an hour- included the time hunting for the tools tool. You do need to remove the door panel completely as the bottom nut that holds the mirror on is blocked by it. Also, the wires run inside the door panel and connect just under where the power window/door lock switches are. The instructions that came with the set state: you may need to have the dealership reprogram the computer to have the new ones work- I didn't need to, and my original mirrors didn't even have the LED signals like the Camper mirrors do, and work fine.

the labels on the actual mirrors I have are :
20862099 Right
20862098 Left

I was told by the dealership, that GM doesn't sell them individually, but only as a set. Maybe because they are technically an aftermarket add on even though it is a GM part.
I had to buy a second set when some idiot took off my driverside camper mirror with the mirror on his Jeep. So I acually have an extra passenger side one.

Last edited by 97drexelgrad; 12-09-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: additional info added