Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tow Mirrors for 08 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Question Tow Mirrors for 08 Silverado

Tried to order some tow mirrors from the dealership to replace the little stock ones.

I was told that it was not a plug and play exchange.

Has anyone done this to a 2008 Silverado or know what I will have to do to make it work?

-Heated & Electric Movement
-No turn signals

Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by TexZ71
Tried to order some tow mirrors from the dealership to replace the little stock ones.

I was told that it was not a plug and play exchange.

Has anyone done this to a 2008 Silverado or know what I will have to do to make it work?

-Heated & Electric Movement
-No turn signals
I hope your dealer is wrong or they changed something on the oh11's, waiting on a set for mine right now. I checked E-bay and they have some knock off's that look pretty decent, ie stock looking. You'd likely have to call the company to make sure they ARE plug and play. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Default Dealer said...

They told me that the vin code wouldn't go with any of their larger mirror. I was also told that if I got them that I could talk to one of their electric guys to customize the installation so that I wouldn't lose functionality. It is possible that they wont work though. I don't want to purchase something and then have a nice truck with "manual" adjusting mirrors, and also have to deal with ice covered mirrors in the winter.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 AM

I have an 08 Sierra, which I did the exact same thing with the mirror upgrade. The dealership looked up the RPO code for what mirrors I had currently and told me what I needed. My RPO code was DL8- power heated outside mirrors, adjustable, manual fold, black.
I was going to buy new towing mirrors off of Ebay, but the dealership "hooked" me up, so I purchased through them.

I had power heated only- no signals. After the swap I had power, heated and signals with no additional modifications to the harness, and they were a direct bolt on. The instructions that came with the mirror did say that you might need to have the trucks computer re-flashed to recognize the new mirrors.

The new mirrors do not have the auto foldback feature that would have come on the truck if originally equipped with them. ( when you shut off the truck, the entire mirror assembly moves inward to press up against the window).
The can still be manually pushed in though.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Question Re-flash question

Originally Posted by 97drexelgrad
I have an 08 Sierra, which I did the exact same thing with the mirror upgrade. The dealership looked up the RPO code for what mirrors I had currently and told me what I needed. My RPO code was DL8- power heated outside mirrors, adjustable, manual fold, black.
I was going to buy new towing mirrors off of Ebay, but the dealership "hooked" me up, so I purchased through them.

I had power heated only- no signals. After the swap I had power, heated and signals with no additional modifications to the harness, and they were a direct bolt on. The instructions that came with the mirror did say that you might need to have the trucks computer re-flashed to recognize the new mirrors.

The new mirrors do not have the auto foldback feature that would have come on the truck if originally equipped with them. ( when you shut off the truck, the entire mirror assembly moves inward to press up against the window).
The can still be manually pushed in though.
So you added the turn signal to the mirror? NICE. I hope it works out for me too.

One other question tho... If they have to re-flash my computer to recognize my mirrors WILL I HAVE TO PUT MY SETTINGS BACK TO STOCK BEFORE TAKING IT IN? I have a power program intalled right now.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I would to be safe. One tech could be a ***** and notice the program and wanna put your truck out of warranty.