Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

TBS

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Default RE: TBS

Yeah, but your talking like a 1 1/2 to 2ft difference

Old 10-25-2007, 09:57 PM

Yes I understand the length difference, so what are you saying?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 PM

I believe I already said it, it would be a negative affect you would already have gas a be waiting for air

Old 10-25-2007, 10:28 PM

But there would be air there already, and as soon as the extra gas was added extra air would flow. So I see no negative affect, and little if any delay. So no you have not already said it. I am just throwing up an idea to which no definative proof against has been shown, so unless you have tried it don't shoot it down, think outside the box man. We are looking for things no one else has tried.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 PM

You asked for ideas and i was given you my thoughts. Sorry, that you didn't care for what I had to say. I would also think that the folks over at GM R/D Dept might have tried it

Old 10-26-2007, 08:01 AM

I researched the whole "put the MAF sensor as close to the TB as possible" idea and from what I gathered, I believe the length of the intake tube and the distance between the TB and the MAF is the "ideal" setup. The MAF works best when placed as far away from the TB as possible, it gives plenty of air as a "buffer" for the engine to use until the "ideal" settings are made in the ECU and made to the engine. Also it is best to keep the MAF as far away from engine heat as possible too. If it is too close the sensor will not be as accurate and in turn the engine will not run correctly. Also the lack of a "buffer" would cause irratic idle and a rougher acceleration. Its like someone throwing too many tennis ***** at you at one time and trying to catch them all at once, if you had time to set the first ones down (the buffer) you could prepare youself for the next couple and so on. (Matter of fact those air duct things that branch off of the factory intake act as a silencer and help this "buffer" effect). So what about placing it farther away, great idea for efficiency right? If the "buffer" effect is too big there will be a considerable drop in throttle response. It would feel like the Torque Management system kicked on full force. Natuarally because it would be like trying to breathe through a 1inch, foot long pipe and then try breathing through a 1", 10 feet long garden hose, in a non-preverse way, you'd have to suck harder. Lol. The buffer being too big (getting back to the tennis *****) causes inefficient running of the engine, like catching one ball at a time with 30 seconds in between, takes longer to catch them all. (Takes longer for the ECU to make changes to the system under sudden acceleration). So now the engine works harder to pull in air AND the throttle response is suffered due to the bigger buffer effect, it would be like driving a Ford! Lol. No seriously it would suffer either way. Adding a up to a foot might not hurt, adding more than that or taking away some length prob would. Increasing the tube diameter by 1" or so would be ok, but obviosuly shrinking it would hurt your performance. I dunno, sounds like a good theory. I got this from reading up on the way fuel injection calcualtions work and from reading up on engine mods.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 PM

I have a quick question about the TBS. I picked up one from Jeg's, and I am trying to install it. Has anyone had any issues with trying to remove the factory studs in the intake manifold, or with the intake tube interfering with the fan shroud or the plastic cover that says "vortec" on it. Any info would be great.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM

Both of those can be common. If you have trouble with the studs, you can grab the end with a pair of vice grips and loosen it. If you have a CAI then tend to rub the fan shroud, but you can trim the end of the tube to get a good fit.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 PM

Thanks, I'll try again.......another day. I was worried about breaking something. I noticed in the jeg's catlog they say not for use with fipk type air intake. I see a number of people have both so I guess that is like the "changing exhaust can damage the engine" myth. Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 PM

You can just trim it a little, or leave it be. I think a few here let it be and had no issues just leaving the tube alone. Letus know how it works out.

Quick Reply: TBS