Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

TBS

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Default RE: TBS

get the torque curve. definitely.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 AM

So which one do you guys think I should go with. I was leaning towards more of the torquecurve because on the smooth bore said that it is best for towing and WOT. What do you guys think? Anyways and also on the intructions they say that we have to re-adjust the throttle cable and cruise control cable. How hard is that too do? Or is it easier done then said. Thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 AM

From my experience smooth bore is more WOT and torque curve is better for towing

Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM
TruckForum Addict

COME ON GUYS! How long do we need to debate this same topic? Here is the exact description Trans Dapt put on their products which I took right off of Summit Racing's website:

Smooth Bore:
These Trans-Dapt Performance Smooth Bore TBI spacers improve plenum volume and air velocity for mild horsepower and torque gains. Trans-Dapt Performance Smooth Bore TBI spacers work best for tow vehicles or frequent wide-open throttle applications. Plus, they feature a non-whistle design. Trans-Dapt Performance Smooth Bore TBI spacers are made from durable aluminum, so you can count on them to keep your vehicle running efficiently.

Torque Curve:
These Torque-Curve MPFI spacers go a step further by conditioning the airflow, and thereby reducing turbulence for unsurpassed power gains, smoother acceleration, and better fuel economy. The result is a denser air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber, which means more horsepower, more torque, and better fuel mileage. Plus, they feature a non-whistle design.

There is also this new design by Trans Dapt called the "swirl torque":
These spacers have slotted ports to create a vortex that improves your air/fuel mixture. This stimulates low-to-mid-range torque, to provide more torque throughout the entire rpm range. Improved combustion efficiency also provides you with better gas mileage. Plus, they feature a non-whistle design.

I have the torque curve and it's power is mostly noticeable at mid range. The "swirl torque" is something that has come out very recently so I would assume that it is better than the torque curve but it doesn't say that so your best bet will be actually going on Trans Dapt's website and sending them an e-mail about it.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:56 PM

the cable adjustment is not hard at all... remove two or three bolts, put two spacers on there, and put new longer bolts in, and youre done. its very simple.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:34 PM

Well the descriptions for aftermarket MAF sensors say you get more hp even on stock engine but in most cases you don't, or very little. I don't buy the descriptions they give out for sh*t like that. Ask around, and make a decision based on that.If you REALLY read it it simply says nothing more than "this one is good and the other is better".

The only REAL way to tell is to buy a Smooth and a torque curve and compare. Maybe even a dyno! I'm sorry 72Charger, I just don't get much from that besides "good better and best" and "Volume" and "velocity". I'd need to see figures to back it up. Unfortunatly I can't find out what mine does exactly cause it was made by engine/machine shop.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well since no one else on here owns all 3 and the description of the torque curve above also matches that of the one on the back of the Trans Dapt box I received it in, wouldn't it be more logical and cost effective to simply go by what they say?

It's not like most people will buy 2-3 different versions of the same type modification just to make sure of which one is most optimal. Sure some people do this but most people on a budget will just go by parts description cause that's what it's there for. To help you narrow down your decision making. Not to be takenbefore a counseland picked apart in the hopes you may find a flaw.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:24 AM

On the summitracing site it says that the swirl torque is for v6 applications only. Is this true? if is that counts me out and I am going to go for the torque curve. Also, do we need the spacer it talks about for the hummer and some gm trucks that has clearance issues with the fan?

Old 01-11-2008, 10:32 AM

Not saying you HAVE to buy all three. I had the torque curve and the smooth bore before, matter of fact my Nissan had both in its lifetime. I bought the smooth then tried a "free-be" torque curve someone gave me at work off their pickup (same motor and tb just different intake manifold). I also had a torque curve on my 91 and a smooth bore on this truck (99'). I noticed that my nissan would pull hills better with the torque curve but run better (accelerate better) at highway speeds with the smooth bore. and my 91' pickup would pull loads with less pedal than it did before I put the spacer in but no change in top end that I could see. My 99' doesn't pull any better with the smooth bore (that I can see/feel anyway), but it will get moving quicker at WOT (and higher rpms) load or no load. I don't plan at towing at WOT or any high rpms so I'd buy a torque curve for towing. I do realize that the vehicle and engines here are very different, so its not as accurate at a comparison as it could be. Plus there were 2 different manufacturers involved with the TBS too. Based on MY EXPERIENCE, I'd buy torque curve for towing and putting around and smooth for highway and play. And I still don't feel theres a good comparison or discription as listed for Trans Adapt for these things. I emailed California Custom Engineering and I'm waiting for their verdict on a good comparison. These guys should no what the comparison looks like on a dyno.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
How do you like the Transdapt TBS? I'm trying to decide which TBS to install. I understand that the Transdapt doesn't whistle and that sounds good to me. I looking at installing Edelbrock (#65022) headers, Magnaflow Cats (#93419), Magnaflow exhaust (#15841). I am considering Stan's Headers ceramic coated tri-y's, but I have to justify the cost. Does anybody have a performance throttle body they are happy with?

I have the magnaflow 15841 now and I love it, they are cheaper on ebay but I wanted a warranty (the salt on the roads here in winter kills an exhaust) so I got it here magnaflow 15841, or you can try one of the vendors here, they are always running sales/specials. either way its a great system and very easy to install.

Last edited by jbracefan1977; 03-19-2010 at 04:08 PM.