Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

From those of you who have Predators....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Default From those of you who have Predators....

I am ditching the Hypertech and going Predator. I found one for $280. Good price? Anywho, Im mainly doing this cause Im sick and tired of pulling off onto the highway and having it dog cause of the torque management. I want to get the Predator and cut this back a bit. How far can you go with it without killing the tranny? I drive slow except for on the highway so Im not going to tromp the gas all the time. Oh, and has anyone messed with the fuel tables? I need mine to be a little richer running at lower rpms as I am getting more air then it can handle right off the start. (It will knock when the gas is hit pretty good from a dead start) I don't have it yet, just wanted to know what some of you guys did to tweak your trucks with one of them. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Default RE: From those of you who have Predators....

Or do you guys think I should just get a custom tune? I am looking at doing the following:

1. Reduce the TQ Management slightly without removing it. Just enough to get the launch without killing the transmission.
2. Get the best bang for 89 or 91 octane. Prefer 89 cause 91 is hard to find around here. (Everyone has 93)
3. Get the best performace with the intake and other mods. The hypertech doesn't like all the extra air the engine is getting and will knock slightly every once in a blue moon.

What your guys opinion?

Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm a super Newbie to this forum and to trucks in general but after doing some research the last week and reading this forum and others I have decided to do the following.

1- buy a Diablo Predator. two reasons, it seems to have more functionality and better suited to accepting engine modifications.
2. - Data logging and trouble code capture/diagnostics
3. found a local shop that sells these, along with cold air intakes etc that will custom tune it for me on a Dyno.
4. most OTS programs ( like Hypertech and others ) build their programs so they can perform well on virtually every vehicle they were designed for. This isn't a knock against Hypertech or any others. I found over the years ( on sports cars at least ) that these typical stage one or two programs don't neccesarily get the MOST out of your particular vehicle and in fact can sometimes produce different results from one vehicle to the next.
5 getting a custom tune allows you to tailor your program specifically for your mods and engine, octane level ( gas in your area ) . All are contributing factors to a successful running program.
6. spend the extra few bucks and get a custom tune if you can. Itshouldn't take long for someone who knows what they are doing. Most of the baseline code is alreading there in the Diablo program you buy. Then it's just a matter of reading the dyno charts during the runs, measuring A/F ratio's, recording engine knock ( if possible )and then backing off when you reach that point. Most tuners I run into measure all these factors, even timing and when they reach the point that the engine starts pulling timing in response to knock is where they stop.

I am tuning my 2005 silverado with the 4.8 in a few weeks on a local dyno using the Diablo and a CAI. I don;t plan much else, I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out, before and after dyno charts if I can. I don;t expect alot, maybe 30 -35 hp at the wheels and i would be happy. I would be interested in getting more torque in the lower RPM range vs more HP in the upper rpm range. Just my .02's worth.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:41 PM

$280 is a good price I got mine for $300.The only parameters I have set with it is the shift time,shift firmness,max mph and my actual wheel size,I haven't messed with the fuel tables.It won't kill ur transmission as long you keep it within a safe parameter.I'm also going to need a custom tune mainly because of my aftermarket MAF

Old 11-05-2007, 01:12 PM

Ok thanks. When you say shift time, you mean for the TQ Management? Whats a safe setting? My problem is now do I want to screw with it all the time to my liking or let someone else do it once and not worry about it. Oh and the TQ manangement decrease thing interests me but scares me at the same time.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:37 PM

For that price you can have wheatley do it to your specs.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM

My custom tune was only $225from Wheatley, and man what a difference.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 PM

how much do u want for the hypertech?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM

No you can change ur shift time to be quick or slow.I usually keep my shift firmness at 15%I haven't changed nothing with the torque management its recommended that the TM is left on trucks and suvs cuz it puts a lot stress on the driveline.You could set the parameters to your liking but if u install mods like headers.aftermarket mafs, you would need a custom tune from diablo check the diablosport site u should get all the info u need hope this helped

Old 11-06-2007, 12:16 AM

Probably a dumb question but is TM only for auto's?

Quick Reply: From those of you who have Predators....