Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Thoughts? Bedliner paint job on 86 K-20?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Administrator
Default Thoughts? Bedliner paint job on 86 K-20?

I'm going to look at a 86 Chevy K-20 tomorrow with the description that goes as follows: $800

This ad is for an 86 Chevy K20 3/4 ton. I bought this at the start of the summer to work on and restore. Right after I bought it I started to have less and less time to work on the truck. This truck has a rebuilt 350 engine. The trans is 1 year old (700r4 rebuilt last winter). The rear end has been replaced. I think its a limited slip. The body has very little rust as I have welded a bunch of new body panels on. The frame is solid and it comes with a new class 4 hitch. Almost all of the wiring has been replaced. The trucks color is a dark primer gray. I have also just replaced all the fluids in T case front and rear differentials.

If you read the description, the truck doesn't have any paint on it. I am just looking for a winter beater that I can trash and not care about, so I was pondering this idea: Remember the guy who painted his truck with the roll on bedliner material?? He hasn't been heard of in a while but his pictures are still here. I thought it was kind of a neat idea so I figured I'd try it if I bought the truck. Any qualms or possible problems with this plan?

[img]https://www.truckforums.com/forum/pi...=7&pictureid=9[/img] This is before he did it

[img]https://www.truckforums.com/forum/pi...7&pictureid=11[/img] And this is after

Ok Brent, how do I embed the images, I'm lost

Last edited by GMCSierraFan; 09-13-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 AM

That sounds like a great deal. i know alot of guys that I trail with in jeeps that rhino line or whatever product you buy the underside completely and about half way up the jeep because it just slide stuff across. I've seen people roll onto huge rocks and the bedliner doesnt even look scratched. It is a great idea. I dont thin it is to bendable so if you plan on dings and dents I can't tell you how well it will hold up to that if it is expandable or not, I doubt it. Sounds like a good idea to me I would do it. If you go to the rhino line website
http://www.rhinolinings.com/applicat...-_rocker_panel its not uncommon for people to put on the outside of something

Old 09-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Truck was not as described. peice of **** and I really reamed into the guy about it. When you say it has little to no rust, that better mean that I shouldn't be able to put my hand through the side of the box

Old 09-14-2009, 06:03 PM

O that sucks. sorry about your luck. I hate when things sound to good

Old 09-14-2009, 08:39 PM

I have had so many things happen like that! It is terrible.

I dont like the look of it on the whole truck but a lot of my friends have done it on the bottom section of their trucks/jeeps and it looks good and functions even better. I am going to do mine that way I just need to find the time. I also can not decide if I should do white to match the body or go with black. I am thinking the white and black combo on the truck may not look so good.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator

The white black combo looks horrible, I saw a couple White chevys with it and it is just odd and ugly

Old 09-16-2009, 04:25 PM

thats exactly what I was worried about. I have never seen one like that before. i tried to photoshop it and it didnt work well enough to tell.

Glad to have someone who has seen its opinion. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator

I'll try and whip up the truck that I saw with it. It went through a local repo auction a while back