Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tire size

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Default Tire size

Hey all,
Wondering if a 3 inch body lift will clear 33x12.5x16. Does anybody have a rig similar to this? If so, how is it working out?
Thanks in advance!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Default RE: Tire size

Yeh it should fit fine. If I knew what kind of rig you have then I could tell you if I own one the same kind.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 PM

My bad, sorry about that. I have a 2000 silverado 4x4. And I should've asked if it will clear 315/75/16's because that is what I have right now. They are still good and would hate to see them go to waste. Also if anyone can answer because I can't seem to get a straight answer from any shop, what are the major pros and cons of a suspension lift vs a body lift? Thanks again.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 PM

one i have a 00 z71 and i fit 32.8s just fine with no lift also if you are doin a body lift save money and use hockey pucks and drill a hole in the middle they are stronger and cheaper then the body lift

Old 10-16-2007, 10:48 PM

That is a redneck way of a body lift. A shop will tell you to go with the susp lift becouse they will get more mone out of the deal. It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. If you want it to look good down the boulavard or if you actually use it to pull or haul something, or if you plan on going off road more than a blue moon occation. That will determin where you should go with it, budget will dictate the rest. I gather that you have the 315's from a previous vehicle? what rims do you have? Offset will be critical for some setups. Other than that, how high, what type of susp travel and ride you want will also determin where you go. Good luck with your venture!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks gpet. i don't go 4 wheelin but i do go off road to camp and fish. I also tow a boat but load is less than 3000lbs. I'm hoping to clear the 35's with a 4inch susp lift if possible. trying to keep the truck low. i also have a dual outlet flow master that i'm sure i will have to modify with a body lift, would i need to modify if i go with a susp lift? the wheels are american eagle 16x10 i think the backspacing is like 4.25 or something like that. not sure.basicly i'm trying to run the biggest tires possible with minimal lift.any input is appreciated. oh z71, that is a unique way of improvising, hocky puck, that's good. LOL

Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 AM

From what I have seen the smallest lift to put 35's is a 6 inch lift. My cuz just raised his 98 silverado 4 inches and the 32.5's fill the wheel well. Any bigger and they would rub. One suggestion is to put wider front fiberglass fenders. I did see mudtrucks already with hockey pucks at he local canyon and they love em,cheap and stronger. Oh and the 2000 silverado came with the smallest wheel wells.As pros and cons wit thesusp. and body lifts is all your preference like gpet said it.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM

All the info that I have on that truck says that yo will need 6" of lift, whatever kind of lift that you choose is up to you. Like I said the offet will be critical. As far as what you are doing, I would have to say go with a Susp. lift. That will save you the head ach of all the things associated with a body lift (ie possibly extending the stering shaft). And if I remember right the 6" susp lift's are not much more than the 4" lifts. Now you need to determine who you are going to get your lift from. There are many good lifts and many bad companies out there. choose a good company and choose there better if not top of the line lift. Shocks are what is going to keep you smooth on and off road. Why do you want to go all the way up to 35" tires?? Also you shouldn't have to do anything with your exhaust with either lift that I know of. A good way to tell what will be affected is by looking under the hood and under the truck. With a susp lift you are increasing the amount of travel from the frame to the wheels. For a body lift you are increasing the gap between the frame and the body. That is why body lifts are cheaper, less moving parts. But on the other hand they have a lot more parts that you should replace like the steering shaft and various other parts that are connected to the body from the frame. Well that is basically it. If you have more questions let this forum know!!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:25 AM

THANKS EVERYONE!
New to lifting so i'm just barely getting the info i need to make a smart purchase instead of letting the shop guys milk me. I've decided to go with a fabtech 6in susp lift. If this is not a good purchase feel free to chime in. Thanks.
P.S. the main reason for the big tires is just for the appearance. I like the beefy tires that's all.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM

I know I am a little late but what about a t-bar crank and rear shackles. It would give you just enough lift to clear big tires without fear of rubbing. The reason for this is it doesn't sound as though you want to jack the truck way up, you just want to clear bigger tires.
Just my opinion though.

T- Bar Crank is free.
Rear shackles are around 150.00 for the seat.
$69.99 for an alignment needed after you crank your t-bars. As for the alignment the price should be close to whatmine costat a lot of other shops also.

Quick Reply: Tire size