Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tire size

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Default RE: Tire size

blaze, thanks for the input but i've got the t bars cranked all the way up already andit's just short of clearing 33x12.5's. the back clears just fine, even the 35's. dunno why GM made such a small wheel well up front. [scratching head]. Also i've read alot of complaints about ride quality with t bars cranked up. feels like it handles alot better and the shocks seem to respond more. am i wrong? i'll take a stiffer susp over ride quality anyday unless it's really extreme.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Hey, not a problem. One thing I don't know what your intentions are with the truck but on mine I actually solved the rubbing with some (VERY) light trimming. Now you didn't say where its rubbing but I assume its probably the outside fender just about where the bumper at to about an inch above that? If this is the case do like what I am going to do with mine possibly (debating whether to get something else). and trim only where it rubs then get a fender flare to cover it. My friend did it on his truck and you can't tell were it was trimmed and it clears even with articulation in mud and over rocks. Now as far as the fender flares there big (but not huge), I thing that they were Bushwacker but not 100% sure. Oh and I have no clue why everyone who does a t-bar crankb***hes about the ride quality, hello your drivin a truck not aBenz. Mine got slightly rougher but mainly just over bumps(speed bumps and like at dips in the road - likeat stop lights). Quailty of suspension off road was greatly improved.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM

THANK YOU!!!!i thought i was the only one that felt that way about the t-bar crank.
the rubbing is on the back of the fender well. the front can be trimmed easily just like you said but i don't want to start trimming untill i'm for sure what i'm gonna do. as far as my intentions, mostly for street and light off road. i just want to run the bigger tires. i've been waiting for the ones i have on to wear down giving me a reason to get new tires. thanks, appreciate the tips.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:03 PM

I have a 2000 silverado with a 6" fab tech lift that I have had on for 4 years with no problem. Good choice on the kit; however, I am sorry to tell you that those 35" tires are not going to fit with only a 6" inch lift. I was thinking exactly like you were when I got my lift and I wanted 35" tires so I had the shop put the tires on and I couldnt even drive out of the shop because they rubbed so bad. You will have to go with 33s and with this you will have to trim the front bottom piece of your bumper just a little bit to make it fit. Trust me you will be glad once you have on 33s instead of 35s. I know right now you want the biggest you can get but be happy and go with 33s especially with these gas prices. With the 33s on I go offroading everywhere without any rubbing. But if you really want those 35s you will have to go to a bigger lift. I also recommend not going with a body lift.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:42 PM

Okay, now i'm confused again. most of the shops and this forum is telling me a 6 inch will clear 35's.
the exact tire size is 315/75/R16. will this fit? does somebody know for sure? oh and 99, the reason i want to run the 35 is because i have those sitting in my garage right now and don't have to spend 1200 for new ones.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:58 PM

I have a 4" fabtech suspension with 35/13.5/18. I get no rub unless I'm 3 wheeling nose down and turning the wrong way. My front valence is trimmed and the 35's are actually 33.5" tall w/35 psi.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 AM

Mysilvy and Cracker, I am not going to get in a pissin match with these other guys, I am simply stating whatI have seen and what Ifoundon a suspension site.With that being saidmy friend used to have an 02 Silverado before it was stolen and he had a 6" Skyjacker kit and the trimmed lower bumper and the front and rear of the wheel opening (the fender was trimmed to fit just like I said in the above post). The reason he trimmed was because he has a lot of articulation offroad and didn't want to tear up the body. I put some picts below with trucks will only 6" lifts and 35" tires. Also fits 315/75 which is basically a 35" tire if I remember correctly. These are not trucks I have personally worked on just trucks off of a suspension site to give you an idea.

Now before you look at the pictures you need to be realistic in both cases and even if you only put 33" on, you run the risk of rubbing when going lock to lock. I have seen a few guys with 33" on trails that have eaten the bodies on their trucks because of articulation and the fact that its a big tire. In all cases when you modify from stock I think that you assume the risk of part damage.

On this truck the front fender well was trimmed in the front and the back and still looks nice!!!

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 6" RCD lift with 35x14.50 BFG All Terrains.

2000 GMC Z71 with 6" Superlift, 36x12.50x16 Super Swamper SSR radials.

This truck has 36" and I am sure it rubs a little.I just wanted to show you that they fit. I can't image that they rub to bad though because as nice as the truck looks I can't amagine him letting the tire tear the body up as there is no indication at least from the picture of body damage.

[align=left]Skyjacker's lift kits for the 1999-04 K1500, K1500HD & K2500HD Silverado/Sierra do not require a replacement front drive shaft for autotrac. The installation is reversible, a feature few other lifts have.[/align]6" Key Features:
[ul][*][align=left]No cutting of the upper front differential housing mount is required [/align][*][align=left]No drive shaft replacement or modifications [/align][*][align=left]CNC machined steering knuckles [/align][*][align=left]Sturdy integrated 2-piece 4-point skid plate [/align][*][align=left]Drop bracketry for the front upper differential mounts [/align][*][align=left]Heavy-duty crossmembers that drop the lower control arms [/align][*][align=left]Bracketry to drop the torsion bar cross member [/align][*][align=left]Clears 315-75R/R16 tires (35") [/align][*][align=left]New wheels with 4.5" back spacing required. [/align][*][align=left]Available options include dual front shocks & dual steering stabilizer. [/align][*][align=left]Installation video included [/align][/ul]

The 6" Class II package additionally includes dual shock mounts and lateral strut bars.
Igot the Skyjacker andTrail Master info off of the RockyMo

Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the links. the skyjacker sierra looks awesome! blaze, your right, i'm sure each case varies. just trying to get a good starting point instead of just running to the shop with my wallet and walking out 5k lighter when the kit cost less than 2k. maybe it's because they're thinking i'm rock crawlin'. no rocks, mabye some mud but light off road( imake sure that is clear with all the shops and in this forum) so not much articulation going on.i've also been told i can clear 36's and thegmc in the pics looks like with some trimmingit could work. Thanks everybody.
thanks blaze, the pics really help.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 AM

Hey, not a problem at all I am on two weeks of vacation and am truly bored (my truck has a few issues right now that I am working on or else I would be out wheelin instead of on here).So when I take breaks I come in here and see whats going on.Like I saidI know a few of my buddiesthat have had problems with clearing buy of stem because theydo those stop on a dime sharp turnsor my personal favorite they have a lift withvery little other mods and think that they can go out on the trails like prorock crawlers and end up eating the body.Example the guysyou see with what I call the dogears behind the front tires that is caused be nothing buta setup that doesn't workforwhat they are wanting to do. If youjust using it like I do mine, you know hunting, fishing, lighttrailrunsand just enjoying nature you'll be fine. I am getting ready to do a 2 inch body lift and a 6 inch suspension lift on my99 blazer(which I finally decided to keep it this morning). I'vebeen through too much with it to just giveup on it and its totally paid off.The reasonI am lifting mine is to clear 33s and want a more effecienttrail rig as its trailednow but with tons of caution.Oh and I learned when I started doing this forum thing one thing you have to keep in mind everyone has opinions right, wrong or difference of opinions it doesn't mean they are wrong. Everybody learns how to do things in a different way. Example, I grew up on a farm learning how to do things with little or no tools so I had to either make my own or figure out a different way of doing it. You'll notice sometimes the way I advise to do it others are like what? You can do it with this, well I didn't have that so I had to make do. Like I said everybody is different and its human nature to make mistakes that why when I finally found this board I liked it because guys on here don't call you out when you make a mistakethey just add to it, like I do. I am just a country boythat tries.

Later, Zach.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:29 AM

totally understand what your saying about the forum. i'm new to lifting so i don't know much, learning as i go along. don't want to waste too much$ with trial and error (the old lady hates that).plus tools are not cheap so i'm sureeveryone improvisesat one point or another. i used todrive lowered 2dr coupes[sm=gears.gif], until i got a boat and when i started driving a 4wd i got hooked[sm=loveeyes.gif]. didn't like being low to the ground anymore. Thanks again.
[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Quick Reply: Tire size