Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tire Specification Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Default Tire Specification Question

Good Morning!
My Sierra 2500 needs tires (cracking side walls), so I shopped.
I received conflicting advice about the type of tire my truck requires. I searched on line for more details but, like I usually do, I ended up confusing myself even more.

The door sticker says "LT245/75R/16E"
I assume this means the tire must say both "LT" & "Load Range E".

A couple of places said the tire size for my truck must say "LT" in front of the "245" regardless of the load range letter.
One said the LT means it is always Load Range E or F, therefore OK.

A couple said that if the tire is any Load Range E, it is OK even if it doesn't say "LT".

One said ignore all that & get any 245/75R/16 because it is automatically the correct load range. Load Range means nothing (That sounds way wrong to me).

I always thought (perhaps incorrectly) that Load Range E meant 10 ply & that was very important.
Also, possibly incorrectly, I thought LT meant Light Truck & was an optional designation, making the size & load range the key indicator of suitability.

So, I find myself here, asking for unbiased information. Can I use tires that say "245 75R 16" without the "LT" or do I need the "LT"?
I would imagine it should say "Load Range E".
Did I get it right, or am I more confused that I thought?

Thanks very much for your advice & clearing the fog!
Paul

Old 08-11-2012, 12:25 PM
TruckForum Addict

Technically speaking, anything 245/75R/16 will physically fit on the rim, and be the exact same dimensions that GM calls for the truck to have. It is an OEM "sized" tire. But consider that you have a 2500 truck, and it is considered "heavy duty". A LT tire, or Light Truck tire does indeed have more rubber on it. The E is the load rating.

So here's a for instance for ya. My truck a similar size tire, but I have a standard passenger grade SUV tire on there because I never haul anything too extreme. An LT E rated tire would only be heavier, louder and more expensive for myself.

So what do you do with your truck? Do you ever load your bed to its full capacity and then drive around all day at freeway speeds? That's what an LT E rated tire is designed to handle. If you did that to my tires, they'd be destroyed, or blow out most likely. LT tires usually get inflated to 80PSI as well. My tires get 35 PSI all around.

So if you NEVER load your heavy duty 2500 truck and you NEVER tow a loaded trailer all day long, then regular tires should be fine. But if you do either of those things "once in a while", then I'd say put the heavier duty LT tires on it.

But if you aren't sure what might be in your truck's future, put what GM says to put on it. LT245/75R/16 E. It's your safest bet. Also, Hankook and Cooper make nice LT truck tires. I put them on work vans all day long at my work.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Thanks, NullHead!
It is nice to get a straight forward answer.
It now sounds like some of the tire people were simply trying to sell me what they had or made a good margin on. Oddly, none asked me what I do with the truck, like you did.

I do load the heck out of it with cables & electrical distribution. I also am required to tow generators. Not everyday, but often. Some are in the 6,000 pound range.

So, it sounds like LT is the only safe way for me to go.

Thanks Again,
Paul
Just noticed- You are in Detroit. Hello Neighbor!

Old 08-11-2012, 07:11 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well imagine that! Quite nice to see a fellow Michigander/Detroiter on the forum!

Yeah definitely go with the LT load range E tires. I've put allot of Nexen Roadian HT tires on as well. They balance up well, are good sturdy high quality rubbers for work trucks. Cooper, Nexen or Hankook are a few I would recommend.

If you'd like, I can PM you my work's phone # for a quote on some rubbers. We're in the Fraser/Roseville/Warren area.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Thanks, NullHead. I appreciate your help. I'll send a PM.
But... I'm a west sider. Will they let me in your neighborhood?