Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

tranny issues in my truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default tranny issues in my truck

01 chevy 2500 hd crew cab 4wd 6.0 and 4l80e auto trans
problem started just the other day when going from park to drive the tranny hesitates to grab into first takes a few seconds to catch other than that it shifts fine thru all gears it does this every time i shift from park to drive
it has tow haul mode also
it also died out on me three times in one week when i went to stop at some red lights hasnt done it since

i am thinking a trans fluid change may help but maybe a pump issue or band issue any ideas

i do use tow haul mode when hauling to save engine and trans from working to hard

Last edited by cubpak89; 04-24-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Administrator

A complete tranni flush may solve this. It won't hurt.
The 4L60-E 4L65-E and your 4L80-E are renown for a sticky valve body consequently cause sluggish shifting and over heating of the tranni.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM
TruckForum Addict

well did the tranny fluid change
while under the truck i found out what the clunking noise was
the transmission is cracked at the trans mount on the crossmember looks like its craked pretty good even a weld would not help so anyway i did the fluid change anyway and put the right amount of fluid in and its leaking pretty bad out of the crack so i will not be repairing it as the whole trans is shifted to the driverside and is rubing on the front driveshaft so its gonna be traded in somewhere for a new one

Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 PM
TruckForum Addict

Wow that's pretty intense. Got any pictures?

I was gonna say as the clutches wear out the clutch pack clearances get larger and it takes longer for the apply pistons inside the trans to apply said clutch pack. In other words, as it wears out, the shifts between gears, including park/reverse/drive - etc, will get longer and slower eventually until the trans cannot take up he slack and your clutches will start to slip and fail.

But in your case, sounds like you just plain need a whole new transmission.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by NullHead
Wow that's pretty intense. Got any pictures?

I was gonna say as the clutches wear out the clutch pack clearances get larger and it takes longer for the apply pistons inside the trans to apply said clutch pack. In other words, as it wears out, the shifts between gears, including park/reverse/drive - etc, will get longer and slower eventually until the trans cannot take up he slack and your clutches will start to slip and fail.

But in your case, sounds like you just plain need a whole new transmission.

yeah it is pretty bad imagine going under your truck taking the transfer case and being able to move it up and down about 6 inches im sure if the skid plate wasnt on mine it would be dangling down more then it is and also i just plain gave up tried looking around today and just keep gettin more mad at it then i already am i will take pics whenever this rain quits if i dont get it traded in on a truck im looking at

Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 AM
TruckForum Addict

You're sure it's not just the transmission mount?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:47 AM
TruckForum Addict

its the transfer case adapter its in the shop now to be fixed then when its done im going to trade it in just gotta bring it to the dealership hopefully ill be in an 07 duramax this time next week

Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Administrator

07 Duramax Now your talk.
That's my everyday driver. And I love it.

Good luck this week

Old 05-08-2014, 07:33 PM
TruckForum Addict

well got my truck back from the shop 700 bucks later and two shift solinoids and a transfer case adapter it runs and drives like a dream and now that the tranny is fixed there is no fluid all over my truck and engine like before
when i thought my oil was leaking somehwere now all i need to do is a carear bearing and its done probably gonna save up some money and then try to trade it in after a while cause 07s used are still quite expensive