Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tranny might be shot

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Default Tranny might be shot

ok I know this is really stupid but it was by accident. Ok so im driving down country roads and its nothing but hills. Im going about 30mph and decide to put it in neutral and just coast.When I try to put it in neutral I accidently shift to far and put it in reverse. When I did thatmy back two wheels locked up, my truck turns off and my power steering is gone. The moment I accidently put it in reverse, i quickly put it in neutral. I come to a stop on the side of the road.I restart my truck and move on. All my gears are still fine. But when step on the gas a werid noise like something is loose or a grinding noise happens from underneath, that has never happened until this.Is that a bad thing?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Tranny might be shot

I'm not sure what's wrong with your truck but that is so grammatically horrific, I don't know how anyone could know what your talking about. Please edit your post and clean it up or I'm gonna delete it.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:09 AM

His post isn't that bad i could read it fine. As far as your tranny, you should be ok. As far as neutral drops, its like putting your tranny on the fast lane to the junkyard. You probably did some nice grinding though.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 AM

So kicking it into neutral when driving is a bad thing?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM

no kicking it in neutral isnt all that bad if its for a short distance... you can wreck your tourque converter if you do it for too long. like getting towed with the front wheels off the ground...

i dont know how you put your truck in reverse when you were moving forward.... i have complely locked up all four tires on my vehicles before and have never ever been able to do that! it usually just grinds for a second... (it was an experiment) i wouldnt do it on my new truck!
the transmission usually doenst let you do that!

interesting nonetheless... hope every thing works out for ya.... it shouldnt be that bad!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:34 PM

well its automatic...and the shifter is on the steering wheel and i accidently went to far into reverse and my power steering went out and my wheels locked up.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:43 PM

I bet you twisted a U-joint or two. Start with that.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM

yeah thats what my dad said....he took it for a test run before i did the accidental mistake...he said there was something clunking when he took off and braked. He said there is probably something wrong with the drive shaft. But todays my b-day and he got me headers

Old 04-30-2008, 03:22 PM

It can be done, had an ex buddy of mine do it in my '89 GMC Sportside pickup. Smokin the tires coming out of a beer store, rearend came around so far, when he went to counter steer, he hit shifter and drove it into reverse. Didn't ruin tranny then but 10,000 miles later, she was pooched. Warranty was 40,000 on tranny, tranny went @ 49,000 miles but i knew the owner andservice manager, i ended up paying $100.00 deductable for brand new tranny.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:41 PM

well i hope i didnt do to much damage...or none at all

Quick Reply: Tranny might be shot