Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Trans Cooler

Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator
Default Trans Cooler

I am going to add a cooler to my 2001 Silverado - 5.3 liter w/ 4L60E and want some feedback on transmission coolers. Let me know what you have used and what your opinion is of them. I plan on buying a 20 foot open trailer which will haul 4 motorcycles and possibly a 5th in the bed once a month. For now I am hauling a 10 foot open trailer with 2 bikes and one in the bed. It does fine, but I am sure the tranny could use a cooler. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

I use a Hayden tranny cooler run inline with the factory cooler (tow package) I bought part#403 from O Reilly's I did put 2 on an Explorer once...but one should be plenty

Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 PM

Just don't go too big if you want the trans to come up to proper operating temp in the winter. Later! Frank

Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Frank B
Just don't go too big if you want the trans to come up to proper operating temp in the winter. Later! Frank
Thats just a LITTLE bit backwards Frank, the cooler your transmission runs the better it is for it........when it comes to transmissions, cooler is better.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000
Thats just a LITTLE bit backwards Frank, the cooler your transmission runs the better it is for it........when it comes to transmissions, cooler is better.
Cooler is better, but, I've heard that the tranny is programmed for TC lockup at different times depending on the tranny temp. Lockup would occurr later at lower temps and sooner at higher temps. It could be changed with a tune though. I think this is what Frank B is refering to.

BTW, I run a Hayden. Can't remember what model number but it's the largest capacity cooler you can get. A bit cheaper than a TransCool. I'm guessing, but I believe my temps run 10 to 20 degrees lower than I was getting with the stock cooler depending on the outside ambient temp. The only thing I tow is a 17 foot boat. Typically, on long highway drives (not towing), my temp runs about 160. It was about 180 to 185 before replacing the cooler. I was getting about 195 degrees when towing before. Now it runs about 180 degrees.

It's 50/50 on whether a by-pass valve is needed. Some say it's needed for cold temp areas of the country. Others say it's not needed because it doesn't by-pass until the tranny fluid temp reaches 180 degrees. I bought one but haven't installed it. I'm waiting to see what happens with my tranny.

Some people use both an after market cooler and the stock cooler as well.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM

I think the bypass valves are a waste of time, I just run my cooler in line with the tranny and radiator and run the return line (from tranny) out to the cooler then I run back into the radiator. This way the fluid is being cooled before hitting the radiator. just my 2 cents

Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 PM

No I am not backwards. Spent 40 years in industrial maintenance. Specialized in trouble shooting hydraulic systems. A lot of them had a minimum temp in the 140 range for proper operation. I have installed several oil/trans coolers on my trucks. Bigger is better to the point where it over cools the oil. Now I know all you guys have noticed how slow and hard some of the trans shifts are in cold weather. The first job of the radiator cooler in the morning is to bring the trans up to temp not to keep it cool. When your engine temp comes up to the proper temp that is where the trans temp will be unless you have a second cooler. I just spent nine years towing 12.5K lbs. with a Duramax. It had a factory installed trans temp gauge and a second cooler. Empty the trans temp was always 20+ degrees below engine temp but was still around 180. After towing for awhile, especially on the hills the trans and engine temps would be almost identical. Ditto what rmck490 posted. The torque converter would not lock until the engine temp came up above 165 on my truck.

I never installed a bypass valve on any of my trucks either but I did size the cooler as per the manufactures recommendation. If I lived further north where it it really cold I would. Later! Frank

Last edited by Frank B; 09-22-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Thanks for all the info guys. I am going to see what O'Reilly's has available tomorrow and will let you know what I come up with. I was trying to get some input on name brands, as there is a decent price difference from one to another. I guess they pretty much all are decent huh or is there a brand to stay away from?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 PM

I have always had good luck with Hayden....they havent let me down yet.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 PM

Check out Summit. They carry quality parts. Later! Frank

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans Cooler