Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Trans Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Mr Shamrock,
What did you come up with? I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) with my 1500. I'm looking to get the trans cooler soon. I'd be real interested in which model and how you hooked it up.
Thanks in advance,
Tim

Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ucrtwf
Mr Shamrock,
What did you come up with? I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) with my 1500. I'm looking to get the trans cooler soon. I'd be real interested in which model and how you hooked it up.
Thanks in advance,
Tim
I actually sold the 1/2 ton and bought a 3/4 ton with the larger trans. and a factory cooler. Sorry.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:24 AM
jvp

Hey, Shamrock before you spend your money look in front of your radiator to see if you already have a Trans-cooler. Also you stated you have been pulling a light load.
Have you noticed an increase in your water temp? Most likely not. If so, and you do not have already have a trans cooler Hayden work fine, I have used them in the past and they won't let you down. I do not know your maintenance schedule but you might want to consider changeing your radiator fluid, as this will help control temps.
I am pulling 6650 lbs. with stock trans cooler in an 05, 5.3 no problems.
If you have not changed your trans fluid, you may want to also consider this as further protection. 90+K and running fine, and I am getting ready to change my trans fluid, this will be the second change I have done on this truck. I find it cheaper than rebuilding the trans.
Good luck
jvp

Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Ok, I ordered the Scangauge II, I'm ready to order a Tru-cool M7B (due to the built in cool weather bypass feature). My question is how you guys actually piped your aux cooler in. I would think it would be easiest to pipe the outie of the OEM cooler into the innie of the new aux cooler than use the OEM hose back to the trans. This way I would only have to splice put the fitting into the OEM cooler, and into the Innie of the new one. Does this sound right? Or do you guys splice into the OEM return line and run the lines back to the radiator area?

Thanks as always,
Tim