Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Transmission Fluid Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Arrow Transmission Fluid Questions

Hey Ya'll,

I just had a quick question that may be considered a noobie question but just wanna be sure.
So this is the deal i want to change the transmission fluid myself in my 2003 chevrolet silverado 1500 4x4 and was curious on a few points.

1) how much fluid should i purchase to replace and are there any additives i need to purchase or should purchase in your best opinions.

2) Do i need to remove the oil pan or can that drain plug on the bottom of the pan suffice. doesent matter either way i can manage it but still are curious on the better choice between the 2

and 3) do i need to buy any gasket kits or filters for it to do a complete good job and any thing i should do to get most of the fluid out of my transmission. or would i be better off doing a tranny flush i have heard many bad things about it but i want to hear what you guys have to say.

thanks guys and again i am sorry if this seems like a noob question not worth your time but any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr.Cale
Hey Ya'll,

I just had a quick question that may be considered a noobie question but just wanna be sure.
So this is the deal i want to change the transmission fluid myself in my 2003 chevrolet silverado 1500 4x4 and was curious on a few points.

1) how much fluid should i purchase to replace and are there any additives i need to purchase or should purchase in your best opinions.

2) Do i need to remove the oil pan or can that drain plug on the bottom of the pan suffice. doesent matter either way i can manage it but still are curious on the better choice between the 2

and 3) do i need to buy any gasket kits or filters for it to do a complete good job and any thing i should do to get most of the fluid out of my transmission. or would i be better off doing a tranny flush i have heard many bad things about it but i want to hear what you guys have to say.

thanks guys and again i am sorry if this seems like a noob question not worth your time but any help would be appreciated.

#1 I would buy 5-6 qts (a quick call to a jiffy lube(or the likes) will answer your question about how much) additives are a matter of opinion...I use Lucas.

#2 PULL THE PAN........This will tell you TONS about the condition of your tranny

#3 Buy a filter kit this will have a filter and a gasket in it (if yours is not reusable)

Hope this helps

Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 AM

Thank you that really did help.
now that we come to that, do you guys know what the pan bolts should be torqued up too?