Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Transmission is not smooth anymore when changing from 1st to 2nd gear -00 4wd Z71

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Default Transmission is not smooth anymore when changing from 1st to 2nd gear -00 4wd Z71

Since I am from sweden and lack some of the words to describe this I hope you guys understand what I write anyway.

I bought a Silverado ext z71 4wd -00 6 months ago and all in all it has worked ok so far. It has about 140k miles on it and is in good condition.

Today when I came back from an errand I noticed that the shift from 1st to 2nd gear suddenly was not smooth anymore, but pretty abrupt. Tried a couple of times and it shifts really hard between 1st and 2nd. Between 2nd and 3rd, and 3rd and 4th it works as usual.

Any ideas what is wrong and is it expensive to fix?

Anyone who also can tell me what to search for on ebay to find the rubber that is closest to the steering post around the shifter? Also the rubbers inside the cupholder that you can pull out from under the stereo I want a word for so I can search for the rubbers on ebay.
While at it I also want tips on what shocks to buy that works with my z71 kit and gives much bang for the buck! No expensive ones since I cant afford that.

Thx guys for a great forum!

//Rob

Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 PM

You should have it scanned for codes with the shifting problem. Sounds like the P1870 code meaning your control module senses your tranny slipping. This code will cause the control module to command maximum line pressure leading to the hard shifting. Check your tranny fluid level and fluid condition as well. It should be red (not brown).

If you have this code, yes, it could be expensive to fix depending on what's causing the slippage. There's several things in the tranny that could be the problem. Most likely related to the transmission torque converter clutch valve or another solenoid in the tranny. Could be clutches as well. There's so called kits on eBay that claim to fix this problem but I've heard it's only a bandaid fix to an eventual failure (search P1870).

It could also be a P0748 code for the 1-2 shift solenoid circuit (correction: P0748 is for the pressure control solenoid). This will also cause the hard 1-2 shift you are experiencing. It could be cheap to fix if the solenoid is the bad part. But this is electrical related and could be in the control module or in the wiring harness (short to ground or short to battery).

Part No. 26093753 - shifter boot is what I think you are looking for on the steering column. You can get it here but they kill you on the shipping costs so you might want to check elsewhere. I haven't seen one on eBay. I don't know about the rubber in the cupholder. If you can find a GM dealer, they might be able to help you with these.

Sorry I can't help you with the shock question. Some else might have a better idea.

Last edited by rmck490; 07-10-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: P0748 code solenoid reference was incorrect
Old 07-11-2010, 03:02 AM

Hi,

Thanks for good comments. Funny enough (or not) the tranny shifted smooth again today. I will check the oil quality (red and not brownish) and level first and after that I will take it to someone who can check for codes and maybe see if there are any failure codes that can relate to the shifting.

Also thanks for the link and the part number! Much useful.

Anyone who knows what kind of shocks I need and maybe the part number for the rubber flaps in the cupholder?

Regards Rob