Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Transmission Temperature gauge install??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Default Transmission Temperature gauge install??

I was wondering if anyone has installed a trans. temp gauge....where did you put the sending unit and where can you find them?? I just want to keep an eye on my trans, fluid smells a little burnt. Thanks for any help....Nick

Old 03-16-2011, 05:11 PM

WOW! five year old post and not one reply, is that right? Im a new member so I did a search, found this, was going to post a thread with this same question I would like to add a Trans. Temp gauge to my 2000 sierra. already replaced my transmission once. I want to keep an eye on it. I will resurrect this thread instead, I hope I get better results

Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Administrator

I could be wrong here... but I think if you rip the guage cluster out of a 3/4 ton it will display the information... but then again, as I said... I could be wrong.

yeah wow this post is old... long before me

Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 PM

Some instrument clusters are interchangeable. Like GMCSierraFan says, you're probably safe finding a MY 2000 2500 cluster, swapping out your old one, and then it should be plug and play. Except one important thing; you'll need to have the cluster reprogrammed for the odometer and engine hours from your vehicle. Otherwise, the mileage and hours from the truck it came from will still be in the new cluster.

I think a simpler solution would be to buy a ScanGauge II. It can be programmed to read trans temp and other parameters. I have one and just love it. They cost about $160.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM

That Scangauge II looks pretty neat, I too was just thinking about getting a trans temp gauge. A trans cooler too for that matter, to the search engine....

Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Yeah I got a Scan Gauge II also it helps keep an eye on everything! Good investment to catch problems right when they happen.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Hmmm...scangaugeII, just checked it out. with the "Xgauge" feature or upgrade, it will show trans temp. not bad idea easy install too, of course Im already thinking of custom mounting to the overhead console just above the rearview mirror flush mounted, Im going to look into it. Thanks for the info

Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 PM

If you get one, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:55 AM
jvp

While guages are great and I keep a eye on mine,

If you have already burned a trans, I would serioulsy look into a trans cooler.
It will cost less money and it will keep your trans temps under control.
If you tow or carry heavy loads money well spent
jvp

Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM

ScangaugeII custom installed, I like it, Im curios how accurate the horsepower reading is, getting on the on-ramp I put tow haul on stomped on the gas pedal tires chirped and it spiked up to 325hp, with the aftermarket intake and exhaust I would hope thats pretty close to accurate. and also best average mpg so far 19mpg. next on the list is to upgrade transmission cooler.

Attached Thumbnails  Transmission Temperature gauge install??-p4120030-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Transmission Temperature gauge install??