Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Truck is stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Default Truck is stalling out

Hello all,
This is my first post on this site and I am glad to be here. Anyway, I have been having a problem with my truck (2003 silverado 4.8L). What has been happening is that I would stall out every once in a while as I was coming around a turn. This would happen infrequently, so I didnt address it right away. Now leaving it so long seems to have come up and bit me in the a$$. Today I went out and the truck wouldn't start at all. I then had a friend jump me and the thing started up as it should. So, we went to the local auto parts store and got a new battery. Now, the problem is that the truck will start up fine but will stall out. It will idle well, however, if I press on the gas and then let go the thing will sputter out. Also, if I turn left or right (while still in park) the truck will sputter and die. Any ideas what it could be. My thoughts is that its the alternator or the idle control valve but I don't want to go tinkering around without the help of some experts. Thanks in advance and Im sorry for the long post.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Default RE: Truck is stalling out

I'm no expert.

Go get your alternator tested-usually free at an auto zone, advance, etc. From my experience, these trucks will not run well at all unless your getting sufficient charge.

I'm not sure what is going on with the engine dying when you turn the wheels. Make sure you have plenty of power steering fluid in your reservoir.

Good luck

Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Default RE: Truck is stalling out

Check fuel pressure. Might be the regulator. Check the alt too for the hell of it. Was your last battery completely shot before the 4 year mark?