Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default Tuning question

Hey all

I was driving home tonight, and was thinking about my truck's lack of power ... I know it's only a 305, but I should have more power than I've got. Seems like if I stop on it, the thing chokes, sounds like it's gulping for air and slowly takes off like normal. Some days it drives better than others.

If I were to get one of them ALDL cables and recorded some data, would anybody here help me decipher it and let me know if I'm getting the right fuel mixtures and what not? Seems like it floods if I just stomp on it, then it seems like it runs really lean when I'm going from a 30mph roll to nearly WOT. It'll downshift fine, and act like it wants to launch, but just doesn't have much power at all.

Doesn't seam like it should be that bad. Maybe a video would help? I can record something of me driving it around.

Ideas, anybody? I'm not sure what pressure my original 1989 fuel pump is putting out to my measly TBI 305, but I'm sure I could figure it out if I wanted. Anybody got a link to one of them in-line schrader valve adapters that I can use my fuel injection gauge for?

EDIT: Oh, btw, she wont do a burnout if her live depended on it. Only successful one I ever did was when there was a small bit of graven on the street ....

Last edited by NullHead; 10-17-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Yeah post a video, do you have the TBI set up?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I would start by checking your fuel pressure and timing. Make sure the timing advance wire is unplugged when you check it - record where it is, plug it back in and make sure the timing advances when you rev it. Also make sure the injectors are spraying a symetrical conical pattern inside the TBI (not spitting and sputtering). When is the last time you changed the CTS - they are known to go bad and mess with the mixture and they won't always throw a code. I can get you the information on how to test it with a multimeter if you need it. This should get you started on the right track.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah it's TBI, but I remember setting my timing a month or two ago. I did mess around with my CTS while ago when my coolant temperature switch wire went out for my gauge. So I tested both sensors according to this chart:
Name:  uVwuV.gif
Views: 1
Size:  8.5 KB

I looked at the injectors last month or so, and they do both spray nice, one injectors consistently sprays more than the other. I just thought this was normal. Now, the advance wire you're talking about. Is that the wire poking out of the wire loom over by the battery+ buss bar? My dizzy doesn't have anything attached to it, other than the regular wires going to the ignition control module and coil.

I probably can't get around to checking anything until tomorrow. Does anybody have any suggestions for fuel line adapters for my pressure gauge? The cheaper the better.

I found this, but ... any better alternatives to removing my fuel filter?
Amazon.com: Fuel Injection Pressure Tester Adapter - GM: Automotive Amazon.com: Fuel Injection Pressure Tester Adapter - GM: Automotive

Old 10-18-2011, 11:51 AM

If you set the timing and didn't unplug that wire that is your issue. It is near the firewall towards the passenger side usually taped to the big wire loom coming up on that side. It has to be unplugged to set the timing and then you plug it back in when your done. Actron makes an adapter that will screw into your throttle body where the fuel line is threaded in now and then the fuel line screws into it. It has a schrader valve on it and most just leave it there all the time.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:02 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah I did unplug that wire before I timed it. I also did it with the engine hot. I set it at 0°, as per the label on the fan cowl.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:24 PM
TruckForum Addict

Okay, so I'm checking ignition timing, and my CTS? I haven't ordered that actron adapter yet. I don't have the cash for that as of yet.

Do fuel pumps like to go bad when it gets colt out? Just curious. It's getting cold. And mine is under question.

EDIT: Actually, I just ordered that adapter from actron. I didn't realize at first that I can get only the adapter for the kit instead of the whole pressure tester. Now I can finally have a use for my nifty harbor freight pressure tester

Last edited by NullHead; 10-21-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 PM
TruckForum Addict

Alright ... got my fuel tester port from Actron. My next problem, is that my pressure gauge doesn't fit on the schrader valve. I have this kit here: Fuel Pressure Tester & Fuel Injection Pump Tester

Doesn't work. Anyone know where I can rent one?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 AM
TruckForum Addict

Well as it turns out, the schrader valve on the darn adapter from Actron uses a stupid big fitting. It's like a 1/2-20, which my school's OTC master fuel kit doesn't have a fitting for. So my boss is going to fabricate an adapter for me once I get him a schrader off another fuel rail that's a regular size. But anyways, here's a video of my truck 0-50mph. It really doesn't have much pull to it. That is literally all she's got. It also sounds like the trans is slipping quite a bit ... so would that be a possible cause to my low power issue? Granted, it is a 305, but it should definitely have more power than that. It has 2.74 gears, three speed O/D tranny and a rebuilt engine back like 4-5 years ago.

[youtube]f12nEFWId0E[/youtube]

Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Sounds like you have a couple things going against you - a 305 - which isn't that big of a deal but will have a little less power than a 350, 2.74 gears - great for mileage but not really for power, and it sounds like at the very least the trans is shifting soft. When was the last time you adjusted your TV cable? My dad had a 305 truck a little while back and with the cable adjusted right it didn't feel much slower than my 350 truck. If you don't know the adjustment procedure it literally takes 2 minutes. Let me know if you need help.

Quick Reply: Tuning question