Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 PM
TruckForum Addict

Sure, how do you adjust the cable? The only thing I have done to my TV cable is put a new plastic clip on the end of it that goes on the throttle valve.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM
TruckForum Addict

What does your tranny fluid smell like? Does i thave a burnt smell? Those highway gears will not help either. But start with the basics. Along with fuel pressure when is the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Old 11-12-2011, 12:51 AM
TruckForum Addict

Last I checked, the trans fluid smelled good, and was nice and red. That was a few months ago, IIRC. The fuel filter was replaced at the beginning of this summer, around May somewhere.

As far as fuel pressure, I still need to get a rig setup to use my fuel adapter from Actron. Other than that, I just noticed that today it really lacks low end throttle. It has the initial jump off of stop, but after that it really doesn't like to drive with low throttle until the engine's warmed up. Today it was like 45 degrees.

I'm going change my oil on Tuesday to 10w-40, and take out the 5w-30 I think is what is in there now. Seems to crank slow now that it's good and cold out, and it doesn't run well while it's cold either.

By the way, the previous owner, my father, replaced the injectors with some remanned ones. I'm not sure if he got the right ones in there or not ... perhaps they're smaller than what's needed? Is there any way for me to check if the injectors are correct just by looking at them? Maybe some stamping on them will tell me?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:12 PM
TruckForum Addict

10w40 is thicker than 5w30 oil. So the 10w40 will definately crank slower... just some info to share.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:04 PM
TruckForum Addict

lol yeah I think I was trying to explain something else ... can't remember. But anyways, I get some piston slap sometimes when she's cold. So I was going to try 10w-40. I run only conventional in there anyways, so it's cheap.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:09 PM
TruckForum Addict

Okay, so I was able to get some time to adjust my TV cable, and I was unable to move the adjuster D clip thing. So I unclipped the cable from the bracket and soaked it down real good in WD40 and worked it a little and soon enough I was able to move the TV cable adjuster. So I ended up adjusting it based on what the haynes manual said, and here's how it turned out:
[youtube]GQVLaQ8L7xE[/youtube]

The ratcheting mechanism is sorta sticky and doesn't ratchet but one click when I move the throttle to WOT to adjust it. So what I did is adjust the TV cable as much as the throttle could get it, then took it out a few more clicks manually. At first, I tested it with just what the throttle could give it, and it was terrible. Shifted late, and only when I back off the throttle.

Lemme know what you think. Will a poorly adjusted TV cable cause damage to the transmission?

Anyone know a part number for a TV cable for my 3 speed over drive tranny?

I checked my fluid too, and it's actually a sorta dirty brown. Doesn't smell burnt really, but it's a sorta dark color. Would changing the fluid with possibly 200K+ miles on it hurt anything?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

The best way to adjust it is to push in the D-ring and push the ratcheting mechanism all the way in towards the bracket. Then go inside and stomp the throttle to the floor. Make sure you don't have a floor mat or anything in the way causing the pedal to not go all the way to the floor. Then go out and make sure the cable is tight. When at rest/idle there should not be any slack in the cable. This is what was wrong with my dad's and we had to replace the cable. The old one was either stretched or the wrong cable. This is of course with the truck not running. You can cause damage with it not adjusted properly so please take the time to do it.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:55 AM
TruckForum Addict

Okay I'll see if I can run out and do it before I go to work. It drives decent as is, but I only took it around the block basically. So I don't think I've had it in 3rd gear or overdrive yet.

I'll let ya know how it does.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 PM
TruckForum Addict

Okay I was able to adjust the TV cable, and then I jumped in and gave the throttle a good stomp. I got alot more adjustment out of it than when I did it with the throttle valve. It drives about the same as it did before I adjusted it, but maybe shifts at a slightly higher RPM. I'm not sure though, because I don't have a tachometer lol.

It still sounds like it's slipping inbetween 1st and 2nd gear though. I think I mentioned earlier that my fluid looked sorta brown colored instead of red. Do you guys think it would be safe to change the fluid and filter in it at such an old age? It's the orgininal transmission and fluid, and it probably has over 150K or maybe even 200K miles on it. We used to tow a 3500lb camper and load the bed down ... so maybe we just burnt up the fluid?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Yeah I would do a fluid/filter change but not a flush.

Quick Reply: Tuning question