Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Turbo or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Default RE: Turbo or Supercharger?

i dont know much about turbo's, which is probably why i don't own a ricer. but both Vortech and Prochager make centrifical superchargers for stock engines, by that i mean you could(according to them) by a brand new car and put one on it without doing anything else. from what i understand, keep in mind i've only done research and have no technical experiance, that with SC you only need to upgrade internal when you use bigger pulley's and push more PSI to the motor. the Vortech doesnt come with a cooler, you have to buy it seperate, they use charge coolers. but the Procharger comes with an intercooler. they'll both run alittle over $6k if you get the charger cooler with the Vortech kit. and both push about 8psi avg. Procharger says their kit gives a 60-65% increase in hp and Vortech says that for the Silverado's with 5.3l engines it'll inrease from 295 to 385hp plus the charger cooler which is another 100hp +/- again according to them. but if i am wrong about the internal upgrade part please let me know, i want to put a Procharger kit on my truck.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:44 PM

Turbos aren't just for ricers.....Grand National....1981 Monte Carlo.....Diesel...

Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM

I work on diesels, and the difference a turbo makes is amazing. The egr detroit series 60 puts out like 50 psi boost, you should hear one of those kick in strong when your dynoing a truck, it sounds like a jet plane taking off. I kinda like that sound, and from what ive seen, id rather have a turbo

Old 11-08-2007, 07:01 PM

I'll submit the parish silverado as a great example of a turbo silverado. He straight up kills.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 AM

That is the most bad *** sleeper I,ve ever seen.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM

Cracker:
i understand that turbos arent just for japanese imports or diesels, but they arent as common, or atleast i havent seen many, on domestic gas engines, i know it has been done many times. i was just putting in a little info for the part question that i have a little knowldge of. and truthfully up until recently i didnt know of many (gas) that were turbo charged from the factory so thank you for learning me something.

but after watching those clips of the turbo charged silverado i have to say that i hope i win the lottery one day. and my buddy says trucks are slow, ha!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM

In the early 80's 2 wheeled and 4 wheeled manufacturers attemptd turbo's as factory options. Unfortunately, technology on the basic things had not progressed enough to make reliable vehicles and the projects were quickly abandoned. Super chargers and prochargers are viewed as "turbo" without the heat and subsequent problems. Current technology permits us to use these heat magnets in cramped quarters more frequently but the memories remain.
It's like nuclear power...there were alot of problems over a short period of time.....everyone is "gun shy" about it.