Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Turtle Wax warning....

Old 04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default Turtle Wax warning....

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Turtle Wax's "Polishing Compound"(black squeeze bottle) sucks very much badly. It's supposed to remove light scratches, swirl marks, and oxidization..... ALL LIES! Not only is that the second hardest wax I've ever applied in my life(second to Meguire's Carnauba) it's a royal pain to get back off and only does as good a job as any other wax.

I have found Eagle 1's clear wax that you spray on while the vehicle is wet and wipe off with a chamois is very good though. Only problem is it won't remove oxidization or scratches.

Good luck shinen them rides up for the summer!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Default RE: Turtle Wax warning....

I use this stuff that Advance Auto just started carrying, but it sells out in like a day. Its called Insulator Wax and it was designed for electrical lines. Works very well, hard to work with however. Its pretty hard to get off, but the truck will bead for 2-3 months after 1 wax.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:33 PM

I aways use mothers. I used Turtle Wax back in the day but it was the best stuff out then. I still like Turtle Wax chrome stuff its alot of work but pretty good.

Hey Josh you getting it ready for a photo shoot for the truck of the month?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:47 PM
TruckForum Addict

No I took it offroading Sunday and scratched the crap out of the passanger side on somebush limbs,so I thought I'd try and get the scratches off. However the wax is so hard to apply and even harder to get off I decided against it. It's like smearing Elmer's glue around on the paint and getting it off is even worse. Fortunately the "scratches" were mostly just dusty lines and washed off. I also still had a lot of the Eagle 1 clear wax still on the paint and it helped buff them out a bit when I chamoised it. That stuff is great!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:09 PM

i just used turtle wax last time i waxed my truck and it was hard and took a long time but it looked good when i was done

Old 04-03-2008, 03:17 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah this stuff does a good job as far as wax goes but it doesn't do what it is supposed to(i.e. remove scratches, swirl marks, and oxidization). It did clear up a few blemishes but it certainly wasn't worth the work.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:25 PM

I always use Armor All Wash and Wax,the blue and red bottle..its really easy just wash and wax it dry,it shines really good.I never liked Turtle Wax.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 PM

I have a bottle of the compound your talking about. I didnt use it on my paint job, just on the backs of the mirrors and on the bumper. I used applicator pads and automotive detail towels and got a great shine from it. I wouldent use it on my paint though.