Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 PM
Default Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel

Just wondering if anyone has been running a truck mandated for ultra low sulfur diesel on low sulfur diesel. Yes, I know it is illegal in the USA, and I know there are all manner of threats that warrnties will be cancelled, etc, but I ould still like to know the truth. Is it just a matter of reducing the life of the particulate filer?

I would like to take a new body style Silverado to Mexico for a while and I need to know whether something catastrophic is going to happen. It's NOT illegal to run the truck on other fuels in Mexico, but will it so nay harm?

Is there someone out there with actual experience?

Thanks
whitetmp

Old 06-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Default RE: Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel

White, I might be able to help you with this. I am an over the road truck driver. I do not have any experience with a silverado, however I usually buy about $300-$400 worth of diesel every day. It will actually be better for your truck to run the low sulfur diesel than it will be to run the ultra low. Much more lubrication in the LSD than ULSD. I know my big rig likes LSD better than ULSD but I am constricted. Newayz hope it helps.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Default RE: Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel

I'm willing to bet that you are correct about the engine running better on the low sulfur fuel, but my understanding of where any problems might arise is the "new for 2007" emissions control system.

More soot and/or sulfur dioxide is produced by the oldlow sulfur fuel compared to ultra low sulfur fuel and supposedly this will clog the particulate filter and/or interfere with its operation.

Problem is, there doesn't seem to be any publicly available technical data to explain exactly what might happen and how serious the problem really would be. I keep hoping that someonewith knowledge in GM will spill the beans.