Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

UPDATE: '06 Silverado Tow/haul issue in cruise

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Default UPDATE: '06 Silverado Tow/haul issue in cruise

Thread update to this: https://www.truckforums.com/m_12268/tm.htm

I spoke with a GM Customer Service rep this week at the800 number given in back of owners manual. She researched this issueand called back saying that a different software program should have been downloaded into the transmission at the dealership when they installed the 20" tire and rim package, and that she was going to transfer me to someone in 'technical' who will take this further though the dealership. Awesome, right? Read on.
The transfer goes through to Adrian in 'technical' who proceeds to call the dealership, then repeat back to me what I was already told by them when the truck was in for service, that being that everything's normal. He goes further in telling me that I should go back to the dealership and work with them on resolving this through 'other means'. Translation: up-sell me to a 3/4 ton??? I don't think so.
When I tell him that this is not a viable option, he offersme a free, through the dealership 5-year 100K mile warranty on the transmission (it has a 3/36 now).Obvioushly, I'm not thrilled. Iwant a truck that shifts likeit should and uses 3rd gear when downshifting in th tow/haul mode.This offer is basically a band-aid fix to a customer complaint issue, and I felt like the guy was just gaffing me off when he pitched it to me. I then asked him to answer my original question of why the transmission completely skips 3rd gear, but of course he couldn't. So I told him I'd think about his offer and would be more inclined to acceptit if it was for both the engine and transmission as these are the two components that are involved with my complaint.
I then questioned him about the software program that the previous CS rep mentionedwhich should have been downloaded by the dealership, and he said she didn't know what she was talking about and she should never have divulged this information to mebecause she's not 'technical' and she doesn't know what she's talking about. WTF??? She is representing GM on this, right? Where did she get this information when she originally researched the complaint? My questions fell on deaf ears with Adrian and he had no response.
I have to get back tohim by Tuesday withmy decision on the extended warranty. Options are slim at this point as I see things, and I will ask forthe engine coverage as well when I do call. Will also askthatany add'l warranty be tranferable to a new owner 'cause that's the way I'm leaning with this, to sell the POS transmission that's attached to this vehicle.
I love the truck with all the options but will not put up with these shift characteristics when pulling a trailer because I know better (mechanically) and I know this shifting pattern is not right (software wise). It's also not asafe condition for my wife to have to deal withwhen she's behind the wheel with the loaded trailer out back.
Any advice, men????
Mike in PA
PS: I stopped on the way homeand looked atturbo dieselF250 last night....

Old 03-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Default RE: UPDATE: '06 Silverado Tow/haul issue in cruise

Man all i can say is ....well.... do what YOU feel is right . I know you dont want to deal with the truck anymore...and i know hat you are feeling..if you'll read my post..my 07s rearend exploded man, and i have less than 5000 miles on my truck!! as for wanting them to keep the damn vehicle...i know how you feel. anyways man, do what you think is right, if you feel it is going to be a hazard to you or your family..this sporradic shifting..than trade her in!