Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Useless "performance" mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Default RE: Useless "performance" mods

yep

Old 11-11-2007, 08:59 PM

Really? I got my exaust the second day I had the truck, I have no memory of pre flow master. Like how much slower?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well the best I could get when it was stock ( plus drop in K&N air filter ) was a 10.61 in the 1/8 mile. Now with all of my mods the best I can run is a 10.66! I know for a fact the red neck ram air helped out a lot but once I slapped my exhaust on I could immediately tell a loss in torque. Especially when towing. I mean obviously we're not talking dire loss here but the redneck ram air and the throttle body spacer combined don't make up for the difference in the torque loss obviously. But like I said, I love the way it sounds so I wouldn't undo it. Especially since I'm not gonna race it anymore.

But this backpressure issue is obviously a universal issue cause the Supra I bought had straight pipe exhaust on it when I got it. I put a high flow cat and muffler on it and gained a lot of torque in that thing. Runs smoother too.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 PM

Not gonna race the truck anymore? Sucks at the power loss but yeah it does sound great, love dumping on certain types of cars too.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:20 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah I decided after the last time I went to the track that I definately wasn't going to race it anymore. That rough start problem didn't start until the last time I was at the dragstrip.[&:] I've also got a transmission fluid leak I can't locate.... no leaks on the tranny anywhere and it doesn't seem to be getting into the coolant. Not leaking anywhere as far as I can see but I have added a half a quart of tranny fluid to it2 times now over the last 3 months or so and I'm sure it needs moreright now.

So yeah, that's why I bought the Supra. If I'm gonna break something I might as well break something I'm not making $275 a month payments on still, LOL!

Old 11-12-2007, 12:19 AM

back in college i too was suckered by the tornado and "zmax with linkite" i noticed a significant gain with my exhaust but all i did was have a performance muffler put in place of the stock one with no mods to the pipes.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:05 AM

Gee where do I start. Im an idiot and bought alot of useless crap over the years.

1. Velocity stack like Cracker said.
2. Tornado intake thing, throttle response maybe but I,ve never noticed fuel mileage increase.
3. High flow MAF unless the truck is cutomed tuned for it.
4. Hypertech Programmer unless your running a stock engine.
5. JET Chip on anything but a V8.
6. Magnetic fuel conditioner (that magnet you strap to your fuel line).
7. Flex fan, I've never noticed any difference over clutch fan.
8. Headers if you don't change the heads first.
9. From what I understand, exhaust on our trucks won't do much. (Charger and Quick02, maybe the difference in in the weight of the truck as far as exhaust gain? Charger has 4wd and Quick02 has a much lighter 2wd.)
10. Any spark plug that is not recommended by the manufactureer (Like E3).
11. 8mm high pro or 9mm plugs with a stock ignition.
12. MSD ignition system on a stock motor (unless carborated)
13. Oh and those electric fans you plug into your intake tube, friend of mine did this, it sounds cool but you might get 1 maybe 2 hp out of it.
14. Any kind of preformance chip on ebay that sells for $3 to $20 thats called a "speed chip" or "gas saver".
15. True Ram Air on any vehicle with MAF- Im sorry to say this but on my 91' GMC and my 89' Nissan, the 91' GMC worked but it ran lean (a better tune would have solved this ), on the 89 Nissan (with MAF) it would stall at highway speeds when you got off the gas. I had the intake piped into the bumper with a velocity stack before the filter and it was pretty straight shot to the MAF. Maybe it was overkill for a 4 banger but i couldn't get it to work.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 AM

I second that E3 Diamond Fire Spark Plugs suck.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:47 PM

wo, jcsbt12, that is quite a list lol... i still want headers just because if nothing else they will make my truck just a smidge louder

Old 11-12-2007, 05:48 PM

I should note I never bought a "speed chip" or electric supercharger but the rest I have done.

Quick Reply: Useless "performance" mods