Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Very weird problem, dome lights turn dash off, some interior lights not working

Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Default Very weird problem, dome lights turn dash off, some interior lights not working

Went to install LED lights in my dome and map lights but the lights to my surprise were too small. These were said to be the exact replacements, so I popped them in, too small, pulled them out and didn't mind. Later on, I went to turn my AC on and noticed the AC speed and vent adjuster switches had no light. I then went to turn on my map light on and instead it shut off my dash lights.. I pressed all 4 overhead light buttons and there seemed to be a weird combination. Depending on if I turned on the dome light override or not, after pressing each of the 4 overhead buttons it would either turn them off, do nothing, or turn on/off my dash. Sometimes when I'd press them the lights would flicker but not stay on. Also noticed my steering wheel cruise control and radio buttons aren't lighting up. The only button that was illuminated was the bluetooth. I have no idea what kind of electrical related problem this could be! At one point or another the lights do illuminate so I know they have power. I figured it could be a polarity problem but tried a million ways of reinstalling the overhead lights and none made a difference. Help!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

What exactly did you do, just replace the bulb? Sounds like a ground issue.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:22 AM

That's what I'm thinking. I took out the old bulbs, just the 2 in the front for the map light, put the LED's in but they were too small so I took them back out and put the old lights back in. They worked normally until I realized this problem. Basically what's happening is when I turn on the maplight they don't go on, instead they turn off the dash lights. I had to move the contacts around a bit, I'm thinking maybe they're hitting up against another piece of metal?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 AM

Definitely the place to start looking. I had a bad ground in an older Chevy truck, actually it was totally disconnected, and my dash lights were going crazy! I wouldn't have believed it could cause all that had I not seen it.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks for telling me that, definitely gonna check for a bad ground somewhere. I hate electrical problems

Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM

Removed overhead console, checked wiring, everything seems to be fine. Checked interior related fuses and they're fine. Still stumped

Old 06-29-2010, 07:59 PM

Which truck is doing this?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 AM

The 2010 Silverado, forgot I had the Blazer listed on there. I had also put LED's in my Blazer though and there was no problem. It's a very strange problem, never encountered anything like this before

Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 AM

Is it still under warranty?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 PM

Yep, bought it a few months ago. Bringing it back to the dealer to let them take a look at it, but they're booked until the end of the week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very weird problem, dome lights turn dash off, some interior lights not working