Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

well

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:55 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default well

i finally got around to changing my o2 sensor and removing the code from the computer
runs like a dream now
one thing is still bugging the crap out of my when i brake the pedal is weak and soft but it just isnt normal sometimes i have to pump my brakes twice to get it to be at the proper stifness it whould be while brakeing
can a bad brake cylinder gasket cause this
as when i remove my cover to check or put fluid in the rubber gasket is kinda indented down into the resivoir where the fluid goes
i may just replace it anyway

Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 PM

okay im actually really good with brakes now

did you have any problem with the brake system before and is it spongy?

did you ever take off the master cylinder and bench bleed it? also check the brake hoses to make sure they arent bulging out along with your lines.

and if all that is fine and you still have a spongy pedal most likely you have an internal cylinder leak and the whole master cylinder will need to be replaced?

also is the rubber cab swollen misshapen or deteriorated? petroleum products will do that to those gaskets and will destroy the cup seals in a master cylinder

Old 07-15-2011, 09:31 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by Wiked
okay im actually really good with brakes now

did you have any problem with the brake system before and is it spongy?

did you ever take off the master cylinder and bench bleed it? also check the brake hoses to make sure they arent bulging out along with your lines.

and if all that is fine and you still have a spongy pedal most likely you have an internal cylinder leak and the whole master cylinder will need to be replaced?

also is the rubber cab swollen misshapen or deteriorated? petroleum products will do that to those gaskets and will destroy the cup seals in a master cylinder
yes i did check everything and no i changed the front discs about half a month ago and my buddy didnt help me bleed them right
so i had my buddys dad do it right
and we bleed teh master cylinder

i went to oreillys and got a new cap gasket and wow shes not like she was before i replaced it i dont have to pump the brakes

if your wondereing the reason i ddint replace the back drums yet is cause i have a lugnut that is 100% rounded out and missing some of the metal so i need to torch it off then i can get the drums done

Old 07-15-2011, 09:37 PM

do what i did... i rounded my lugnut today and it was a bitch to get off

i had to sacrifice a socket but i got a socket that was just too small and really pounded it on there with a hammer and it grabbed then it came right off.

also when you do get them off and your drum pads are really worn or the wheel cylinder is bad then that solves your spongy pedal. if not then i will look into checking your master cylinder

Old 07-15-2011, 09:41 PM
TruckForum Addict

thanks for the advice on the stuck lugnut man but ill have to show you a picture sometime of it cause i tryed taking an angle grinder to it after it was to far rounded
also i do plan to replace the wheel cylinders as they probably are bad

and also my buddys dad suggested getting in there and taking a spoon and adjusting them

any ideas of what else i should look into on the rear brakes as i will most likley be replaceing the whole rear brake system sooner or later
as i want to convert them to disc i severaly dislike drum systems as them springs are a pita to get on and off a guy i work with torches them off on the big rigs we work on

Old 07-15-2011, 09:50 PM

well basically the star wheel can be rusted which will cause it not to adjust right

also if the wheel cylinder gets stuck open its going to hold some brake fluid causing some of your pressure in the lines to be decreased and a easy pedal

and i hate the springs...im so glad i have to tools to make it easy

Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 PM
TruckForum Addict

lol yeah i just use a screw driver that i took to a grinding wheel and made a notch in it that works great i used it on big rigs while working in the army