Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to mod next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:21 AM
Default What to mod next?

So faron my 5.3 I'vegot a Hypertech 3. CAI, high flow cats and exhaust, and dscreend and cleaned the MAF. Porting and polishing the TB seems to be the next step as itis free 9except for time invested), and seems to provide noticable throttle responce gains.Long term plans include ditching the hypertech and going with a wheatley tune (if I can every get ahold of him). In the mean time, what other mods should I consider...larger TB, TB spacer (I think they are a waste of money for normal street driving)...what about manifold or headers (if there is such a thing as fairly quite headers)? What am I missing? Low temp stat (do I need to reprogram for that)?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Default RE: What to mod next?

Update: I found the wonderful post by MrLMZ on porting and polishing the throttle body...any other mods of a similiar nature?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:19 AM

Hey, Wheatley isnt the only guy out there doing the custom tunes and from what Ive been reading on here its hard to get ahold of him and on top of that even after your tuned what happens when you want a tune update? Check out this website, www.nelsonperformance.com. They have pretty fair prices andmost of the guys on LS1TRUCK.com have used them and I havent heard a complaint yet. That will be my custom tune of choice when I can afford to get one!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:40 AM

Ditch the Hypertech, go with either a Predator, Nelson, Wheatley (if you have patience), or find somene with HP Tuner software.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 AM

I just thought of another one out there too and thats blackbear performance @ www.blackbearperformance.com Just about any custom hp tune is gonna blow the handhelds away!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 AM

Yes a true tune, especially on a dyno, would be the best performance gain I agree with you an that, but I would just like to ad that tech and performance support on the Predator is outstanding.

Not only will they coach you on squeezing more hp out of the engine, but they can modify all parameters at their company that you can edit with software such as HP Tuner. So I sent my last tune to them (which I thought was as good as I could get with a handheld), one of their techs tweaked it and sent it back, and damned if it didn't move even better than before. Feels like i have a damn 6.0 in it and it shifts perfect!

Not trying to sell this thing but Diablosport took the uselessness out of handhelds with their support team.

But doing this with just the handheld alone, yeah no were near as good as the parameters you can edit are all within "safe ranges" for what the company calls "idiot safety range" where some smackoff can't blow his truck up in one sitting. Thats why I am glad they can further modify my truck tune.