Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

What should I look for in a '04-07 1500?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Default What should I look for in a '04-07 1500?

Hi,

I'm Don, a newbie here & would like to say "Hi!" to all. I'm currently searching for a new pick-up as my '01 Mazda B3000, though a great truck, it's time to trade her in for possibly a 4X4 '04-'07 Silverado/Sierra 1500. I've done the whole internet search on reliability & have found less issues on the Ford F150's & would honestly be happy with either but am leaning toward the GM's. I dive mainly highway with some mild off road here in the northeastern US. So what should I look for in a used '04-07 1500 4X4? Any issues in certain yrs that I should avoid? I have about 4 candidates that I'll be test driving this weekend so any input from you folks would help greatly. Thanks for the read!

Don ~

Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 PM

Hey Don, welcome to the forums. I think you'll be happier with at least a 5.3 or better in regards to engine. The trucks themselves are all very good and comparable. I guess the best advice I could give is simple common sense. Find the best bang for the buck, lowest miles and a good paper trail of service records is a plus. Both Gm and Ford make great trucks and have their own little quirks and stupid problems. Fortunately, you joined a great group of individuals with a wealth of knowledge. Congrats on the new purchase,,,,,,,,, pics and more pics.

Rob

Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by MrDragon
Hey Don, welcome to the forums. I think you'll be happier with at least a 5.3 or better in regards to engine. The trucks themselves are all very good and comparable. I guess the best advice I could give is simple common sense. Find the best bang for the buck, lowest miles and a good paper trail of service records is a plus. Both Gm and Ford make great trucks and have their own little quirks and stupid problems. Fortunately, you joined a great group of individuals with a wealth of knowledge. Congrats on the new purchase,,,,,,,,, pics and more pics.

Rob
Thanks for the welcome Rob & I also wanted the 5.3. This is a great forum with endless info which I've only just begun sifting through. Is the newer the yr, the less problematic or are they all pretty consistent in reliability between '04 & 07?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM

They're all pretty good, no safety recall issues or anything like that. To be honest, any vehicle will last when you take care of it. They all have sensors that go bad and annoying little things here and there, that's common with any vehicle brand.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 PM

Thanks Rob....yes those damn sensors can be a royal pain & thanks again for the info. My Mazda's been a great little truck but time for a bigger ride & I've always loved the GM trucks. I'll be looking at some pretty good looking (in the adds) trucks....'99 (low miles),'02,'03,'05, '06 Silverado's & an '05 Sierra & '06 F150. We'll see how they all look & ride along with whatever info I can get on them.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Im going to throw in my personal opinion.

ive driven fords dodges and chevys

i drive a 1999 5.3 4x4 and she handles wonderful and is great for offroading and i never got stuck once and for a 5.3 i get GREAT mileage

dodges are sexy looking trucks and have alot of power but the engine and transmission problems leaned me away and adding how the gas mileage sucks

Fords are nice trucks too they handle nice but dont have enough power for me for having 4 cats on them so they're exhausts arent loud which i like loud trucks as i believe that it should be illegal to silence a V8 and the older years the interiors are plain

Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 PM

Thanks Wiked as yes, nothing better than the sound of a V8. I'll probably be keeping whatever I get mainly stock with possible mild mods in exhaust/mufflers, slight suspension lift, & wheels/tires.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 PM

You have a good mindset redliner.

the only thing i would ever do my my truck is exhaust (done lol) i would like to do a lift but i just dont want to go through all the trouble of driveshaft brake line extensions and all the other little things and i just go with A/T tires.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wiked
You have a good mindset redliner.

the only thing i would ever do my my truck is exhaust (done lol) i would like to do a lift but i just dont want to go through all the trouble of driveshaft brake line extensions and all the other little things and i just go with A/T tires.
I hear ya on the drive shaft & brake line extensions & as they say: 'The more that can go wrong, will go wrong.", so I'll be keeping it as close to stock as possible.

Last edited by redlinesrule; 07-26-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 PM

Well good luck on the truck and keep us updated pictures if you can too

Quick Reply: What should I look for in a '04-07 1500?