Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Where to hide a spare key?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 AM

Yep thats where mine is at. Hop I dont lose my pants.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:40 PM

When i go to the gym and what not I lock my wallet in my truck and before i ziptied my spare key i locked my keys and my spare in the cab.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:12 PM

I am new here so this is my newby input.

My wife always had that concern- "someone will find it and take the car".

Think about it- if someone wants your truck, would they waste time looking all over a vehicle to see IF a key might be hidden somewhere? (how FEW people place a hidden key?)

Or would they use a tool to get past the locked door in a fraction of the time?

Find a spot that is easily reached but out of sight. Wrap the key in plastic then in black electrical tape, then attach it with multiple turns of tape. Within a few hundred miles road dirt will make it practically invisible.

Sure you might be in good clothes and get dirty- but how often would this happen? Beats being in the middle of nowhere and not able to get into your vehicle.

John

Old 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Default Just a suggestion

I dont know if you want to do this or not but i have one of those gas cap covers that takes a key to unlock it and i have a spare key in there. Now i have 3 keys to the gas can. One i have on my keychain for when I need gas, two which I keep in my house, and the other one I keep in one of those magnetic boxes on the underside of my bed. honestly I have trouble finding it myself because its so dark and the box is black so I dont think anyone will think to look there just dont let anyone see you put the key box where ever it is you decided to put it. But the gas cap cover is about 60 dollars on ebay and really puts a nice chrome finish on the truck and most people think your trying to keep them from stealing your gas and would never think that you have a hide away key in there two, plus you are prevent someone from stealing your gas. If they still steal your truck just let them have it cause they worked for it.... Just kidding... Hope this helps!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by shooter313
About the most secure place to stuff one of the lock boxes in a high theft area is up inside the hanging spare tire. Most people wont bother to crawl around on the ground and dig around up in there to look for it..it draws to much attention. inside of fenders or inside the front or rear bumper is the most looked in places.
Just a thought about hiding things..I wrap a tube of lock antifreeze in a paper towel and put it inside my gas filler cap cover. So when your locks freeze, and if you live in an area like I do (buffalo NY) they will..it is easy to get to and if someone takes it your only out a buck. But when you need it, it is priceless!! Just a thought, it has worked for me MANY times.
Then when they go to steal your spare tire, they find the key, and say to hell with the tire, lets just take the whole truck. I don't think I'd use that spot. You have to get under the truck in this case, but I have the key box inside the frame where its not visible to anyone under my truck. I know its there but its not visible at all. haha, Not gonna tell where I put it inside the frame though.