Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

whistling noise 2009 gmc sierra

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Default whistling noise 2009 gmc sierra

has anybody else had a whistling noise in there 09 gmc truck? pulleys were re-aligned and new belt put on still whistles.any suggestions or solutions?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM

Is it coming from the engine or just the front end in general?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:06 PM

engine,only in cold weather

Old 02-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Default Whistling noise

Have you had any luck finding the problem?, I have a 2009 chev silverado 1500 4.8 with intermint high pitch whistle when engine cold approx -20 to -30, it happens around 2000 rpm and I can change the whistle sound with the gas. GM service rep has hear the noise but is still trying to figure it out. Thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM

truck is not making the noise this winter...

Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Got a 05 Silverado now with a 4.3 ,yaya V6 i know.

Anyways, the belt squeak's on mine in the cold on start up. Only when its below -10. Once she's warmed up it's gone. I've put a new belt on it and wire brushed all the pulleys, the wire brush helped alot.The squeal is still there but it is alot quiter. Its quite enough now that i can live with it.

hope this helps

Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by lowesf
Have you had any luck finding the problem?, I have a 2009 chev silverado 1500 4.8 with intermint high pitch whistle when engine cold approx -20 to -30, it happens around 2000 rpm and I can change the whistle sound with the gas. GM service rep has hear the noise but is still trying to figure it out. Thanks
lowesf,

From your post, it appears that you have taken the vehicle into the dealership to be looked at. I would greatly appreciate it if you could let us know how it goes. Any further information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Caron, GM Customer Service

Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Default truck noise

Thanks for your help on this one, the problem seems to be with the alternator, I suspect the front bearing, this has been a intermint problem becoming worse, I was lucky this week end and was able to film the noise with the hood open at idle, today on the way to work it made the noise about 50 times and I was also able to record it. Once it warms up problem goes away. I will see after the dealer reviews the tapes if they plan to replace the alternator, if not I will need to see what GM can do about it, will let you know if its a happy ending.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 AM

lowesf,
Glad to see you got your vehicle to the dealer. Will you please keep me updated on your progress?
Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

Originally Posted by lowesf
Thanks for your help on this one, the problem seems to be with the alternator, I suspect the front bearing, this has been a intermint problem becoming worse, I was lucky this week end and was able to film the noise with the hood open at idle, today on the way to work it made the noise about 50 times and I was also able to record it. Once it warms up problem goes away. I will see after the dealer reviews the tapes if they plan to replace the alternator, if not I will need to see what GM can do about it, will let you know if its a happy ending.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM

After reviewing the recordings the dealer decided we need to change the alternator, had it changed yesterday and so far so good, will need to see if its a issue next winter but I beleive we have solved the problem, received excellent service from the dealer and a GM rep working on the case, it was frustrating at times for all due to the intermint nature of the defect, the best tool in the end was a camera slected to movie mode to help the dealer see/hear what was going on.

Quick Reply: whistling noise 2009 gmc sierra