Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would mechanic say this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Default Why would mechanic say this?

Ok, I had a very weird experience with my usual mechanic today and wanted some feedback. My 95 K1500 has been leaking from the rear differential. I was told (by a guy who used to be a mechanic) that it was an easy fix, and would cost about $100. So I took it to my mechanic and they looked at it and said something like "I've never seen anything like it! The differential seal is completely messed up; the back is on the front and this is something we can't fix. If we tried we would have to take the whole back end apart and it would be at least $1500." I asked if they knew someone who could work on it and they said they didn't; that I might try a transmission shop but he really acted like it was a horrible thing to have.

So anyway, I took it to another shop that does general repairs. I was in and out in about an hour and the total cost was $123.00

I am wondering if they just didn't want to work on the truck? The truck has major rust issues and they told me previously that I shouldn't try to fix it. I am just trying to get through the winter with it now, no towing, just using it for general driving.

Or are there really such differences in 2 mechanic's opinions? I would find this less puzzling if he was trying to rip me off, but obviously he wasn't.

Would love to hear from those more mechanically inclined!!

Old 12-09-2011, 04:54 PM

i don't know what the deal was with your normal mechanic but you could have fixed it yourself for about 20 bucks and half an hour of time..... super simple fix

Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM

Yes I could probably save myself all kinds of money if I was mechanically inclined. I don't even trust myself to change the oil though.

Thanks for responding!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

That is weird - maybe you just caught him on a bad day or like you said he isn't thrilled working on one that has the rust issue. If it was just a simple differential cover gasket than I have no idea what he was looking at. I once took a truck in for tires and alignment. I left and the truck was shaking like crazy. They told me I needed new axles in the rear and it would be cheaper to just replace the rear end and they could do it for $2000. I wouldn't leave until they rebalanced the tires - they did and no more shake. I wonder how many people just fork over the $2000? It makes me mad to think they take advantage like that - not that your guy was, but it happens all the time. I don't claim to be some super mechanic, but the people working at some of these shops should be cleaning tables some where!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:19 AM

Yes, I imagine mechanics take advantage of people all the time! I am one that could easily be fooled, as I know very little about vehicles. That's why I like the ones I go to...I have left there many times with no charges. If they feel I don't need anything done, they don't do anything. And they have fixed little stuff for free too.

However, this incident reminded me of my last conversation with another mechanic there. I had a 2002 Grand Am with 90k miles and the timing chain snapped on it in 2008, destroying the engine. I was telling this mechanic about that incident and he kept telling me that it had to be a timing belt, that timing chains never snap. Well, if they never snap, I would still be driving a Grand Am! I didn't argue with him, but I walked away kind of scratching my head. We were just talking about the fact that a 99 Sunfire has a timing chain, so he knows these engines have timing chains.

It's got me thinking that maybe I should just find another regular mechanic, even though I really like these guys.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:07 PM
TruckForum Addict

Your mechanic should have said, timing chains rarely ever break. He is correct that timing belts break way more often than chains to. I've personally never seen a broken timing chain, but I suppose it could be possible.

My guess is that your mechanic is either tired of working with you, or he's becoming increasingly busy and becoming sloppy with his work. Either way, second opinions are always a good idea for this stuff.