Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Wiring fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Beginner
Default Wiring fog lights

Hi, I have a 2000 gmc sierra with the OEM fog lights. Bought a set of those cheap oval pilot automotive lights from princess auto that I want to use as an extra set of lights to the truck. I want to wire them so that they turn on with the stock fog lights. Would I be safe to just tap into the stock fog light wires? It says the lights are 12v 55w on the box, not sure if that's each or in total. They came with a fuse, relay, switch etc. but I don't want to fool around with all that stuff.

Also just a little off topic but since i'm here. My right bumper light keeps fogging up on the inside, tried resealing it with silicone that helped a little but now its bad again. Should I just throw it in the oven for a couple minutes to melt the silicone and then squeeze it together to reseal it?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:19 PM

I would use the relay provided to isolate the after market lights from the factory light system. Altering the amperage draw on any system in a modern vehicle is too risky considering the modules used to control everything. Even if that truck only uses switches and relays(without modules), you still don't know if the components, such as the switch, can handle the load without overheating - or if the wires are sized to handle the load without melting. I could go on and on about the risk of tapping into and electrical system... If it were me I would use a relay - they draw very little power.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 PM

Also, regarding your fogging up light - I may be wrong, but I don't think any true silicon can actually melt until it is at the point of failure (no longer the same chemical structure). I can't remember the web site that I ordered from last, but yuo can get new factory replacement lights pretty cheap for most vehicles. Repairing a light permentantly is almost impossible.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by ALOD
I would use the relay provided to isolate the after market lights from the factory light system.
Ok. So would it still be ok to tap into the factory fog light wires if i use the relay or did you mean not to tap into the factory lights? The only thing is, this relay has two grounds, a wire connected to a fuse that's meant to go to the battery, and another one going to the switch. Is there any way I could just cut off the relay and buy a new one to tap into the factory fog lights?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Beginner

Like I said, I really do not want to use the seperate switch. Is there any way I could wire these lights in with the fog lights?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 AM

The wire going to battery is the one that will power your lights. The wire that is supposed to go to the switch should be able to take power from the factory lights positive wire. The relay will not draw enough amps to mess with anything. The relay will get 12v from the circuit going to the lights, activate the relay which will send 12v from the battery straight to your new lights.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 AM

As for the grounds. Without seeing the set-up, I will assume that there is a ground for the relay switch leg, and a ground for the battery leg. It sounds like this thing is pre wired? An off the shelf relay will have the same wiring exept you will have to make sure all circuits are grounded correctly.