Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Default Worth fixing?

Hey guys, this is my first post and I need some advise.

As of today I am an owner of a 2000 Silverado 1500 with z71 package, the 5.3 v8, and 4wd.
It was my dad's work truck until it starting having transmission problems recently. I know the owner of the business personally and he is letting me have the truck fully.

I am asking if you all think it would be worth fixing or not.
It has 360,000 miles on the clock but the motor still runs like a champ.
I am pretty sure it is just the trans as it can move (very clunky) but no reverse. It's a very nice truck and I am in need of something with bedspace and towing capabilities (my suzuki samurai isnt cutting it)

How much have the 4l60e's been going for used?
How much is a rebuild?
How simple is the swap?
Would it be better in the long run to just part-out?

Thanks for serious input.

Adam

Last edited by catfssh; 06-30-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Administrator

I would think you could pop another 4L60e in there pretty cheap, but I wouldn't. Put a 4L80. From what I have been hearing it is a great difference and not all that hard

Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Good idea. That brings up the next question: which GM 4spd autos are compatible?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Have you looked online for some used motors and tranny packages?? Very cheap with low miles. Here is a LS1 set up...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-01...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-01-2009, 01:42 AM

Alright, I'll toss my opinion in - certainly, you can swap or even upgrade the powertrain and that might be worth it... IF everything ELSE on the truck didn't have 360k on it, TOO. Axles and gears, suspension, bushings, brake and fuel lines, fuel pump, etc. I'm not saying it won't be worth it, I'm just saying that the engine and tranny are probably just the beginning of the kinds of things you'll be replacing on a consistent basis. Be prepared.

And WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! Good to have you.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Beginner

Miles have never scared me, I have owned several vehicles that have well passed 300K. If you own the truck for nothing then it only owes you what you need to put into it. The simplest thing is to have the tranny rebuilt. Changing to a 4L80 will require other mods to make it work, and be more expensive. Unless you get a killer deal on another used transmission, there can be problems with them too. You don't know how it was used, and there can be minor differences in the transmissions that you don't notice until the old one is out, the new one has some slight difference, and now you have a problem, ask me how I know.

Find a local rebuild shop that will let you bring the transmission in. You remove it, drop it off, pick it up and then reinstall it. That will save you a bunch of cash.

RT

Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by rwthomas1
Miles have never scared me, I have owned several vehicles that have well passed 300K. If you own the truck for nothing then it only owes you what you need to put into it. The simplest thing is to have the tranny rebuilt. Changing to a 4L80 will require other mods to make it work, and be more expensive. Unless you get a killer deal on another used transmission, there can be problems with them too. You don't know how it was used, and there can be minor differences in the transmissions that you don't notice until the old one is out, the new one has some slight difference, and now you have a problem, ask me how I know.

Find a local rebuild shop that will let you bring the transmission in. You remove it, drop it off, pick it up and then reinstall it. That will save you a bunch of cash.

RT

I totally agree...rebuild the tranny you already have. You will then have a warranty on it. I would inquire about "The Beast" sun gear. It is supposedly the weak link replacement for the 4L60's. Around here you will pay about $1500 for a total rebuild with "the beast" installed. Than you have $1500 in a truck that, even with the miles, would easily sell for $3000 (considering the rest of the truck is decent). Miles don't scare me either, but I can fix just about anything on them myself so I might be a bit biased. I'll give you $500 for the truck the way it sits .

Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards getting a rebuild right now as I really could use this truck. It was a company truck so all maintenance was performed as soon as there was a problem.

The miles don't really scare me either, I have a camaro SS with the ls1 I drive the dog**** out of and it takes everything I give it. The motors are internally the same basically.

It looks like finding a GOOD used 4l60e would be ideal, but I'm not going to pull one unless it is confirmed to work right.

Which year 4l60e's will be compatible? Truck is a 2000.
Do I need to find one that was in a 4wd vehicle, or will the 2wd ones bolt into the transfer case also?

Last edited by catfssh; 07-01-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 PM

i would go for a level 3 tans from finish line transmissions. i have heard nothing but good things about them.

the 4l80 swap is not as simple as you think. on a 2wd its a little easier but on the 4wd its a little more involved. a built 60 will handle most everyone's hp needs that arent racing them on a daily basis. the 80 is stronger but not a direct swap.

thats alot of mileage but if the price is right. good luck

Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 AM

I've recently called a yard and got a quote of 850 for a used 4l60e from a silverado having 150k on the odo.

Not exactly what I'm trying to spend. I need some more options of finding cheap transmissions.

Quick Reply: Worth fixing?