Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Would you buy a new throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Default Would you buy a new throttle body?

I found a ported throttle body online that I was toying with the idea of buying. It is a factory TB that has been ported, smoothed, bump stop shaved, butterfly sharpened, butterfly shaft (ha ha) has been thinned out and the entire thing has been disassembled and cleaned. They claim 10 hp with a CAI and increased throttle response. For $70 would you buy it? Do you guys think it will do anything for my MPG?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Would you buy a new throttle body?

Don't know man. Sounds cool but also sounds pretty iffy. If they messed up the seal at all where the butterfly closes against the throttle body wall, your truck won't idle right. Guess for $70 it won't hurt to try it. I wouldn't expect to see much more gain wise then the throttle body spacers do for you.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Default RE: Would you buy a new throttle body?

This guy has his own racing team, he builds and mods LS1s for a living. I am not worried about quality, just whether or not it would be a worth while mod.

I weas thinking about that too with the "Same as a throttle body spacer". It probably would only be a slight gain in HP and noticably better throttle responce. Sigh, but the idea sounds so cool! Ha ha. I could even tune the truck to comp for the added air.

Maybe I should just put the $70 towards a muffler though. I needa rumble. Damn gas prices! Why do they have to be so high? Now I have to budget myself with my truck mods.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:42 PM
TruckForum Addict

The only gain I have seen when it comes to a ported Throttle Body is better throttle responce.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:07 PM

I don't really think you will see much gains, if your truck is stock. Combined with other mods, might be effective, but its cheap so either way. Worst your out 70 bucks, not so bad i guess.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

The whole purpose of putting a CAI and ported throttle body is NOT to increase air flow, but to smooth the flow. As in adding mandrel bent piping to your exhaust. The ported thorttle body with a good CAI will increase throttle response mainly. This is a gain in low end, but not much HP. You will also notice an increase in MPG, as it takes less throttle to cruise, less throttle means less gas. I do portings here and not had one complaint. The intakes on these trucks are well designed and flow more than enough air for these motors. Its a combonation of things and this my friend is the first link to the chain.