Dodge Dakota Forum Discuss the Dodge Dakota here.

distributor help

Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Default distributor help

I have read several responses to other people about this issue and hope someone can line me out here.

I have run into a problem that I just can’t seem to figure out and I hoped you might be able to help me out, Please be patient and I will try to give you all the details I can.

I have a 93 Dakota 3.9 V6 and I determined that the dist. Drive gear bushing was bad, I replaced the gear and bushing without too much trouble but then I noticed that the plug wires were not in the correct position on the dist. So I decided to fix that too.

I have tried to index the distributor drive following the procedure but the problem is that no matter what I do in order to get the reluctor in the right spot to trigger the fuel the rotor is pointed about half way between #1 terminal and #6. I can get the truck to run by wiring the plugs with #1 in #6 spot and so on, just one place out of sync.

The engine idles very poorly, surges, occasionally pops on starting and so on.

Questions.

1.Is there a way to determine where the dist. Drive gear should be set? The old one had a pin mark on it but the new one has none. Even if there was one there is nothing to line it up with.
2.The leading edge of the reluctor is right in line with the rotor so how are you supposed to set the fuel sync. And have the rotor point at the #1 mark on the plastic plate and also the #1 terminal in the cap? These two points are about 20 degrees off each other.

3.The reluctor plate in my old dist. Was about to fall completely off of the plastic base it mounts to so I took it off, cleaned it up and hot glued it back in place. I was pretty careful to make sure I lined it back up right, 4 rivets and one guide pin, however the new dist has the reluctor about 20 degrees out from the old one. The dist. Cap is the same (if I had a cap that was set with the terminals rotated a bit things would line up)Are there more than one distributor for this motor? I can get it to run a little better with the old dist. but the terminals still don't line up properly.

4.I am really tired of fighting with this thing so I hope you can help me out.

Thanks