Go Back  Truck Forums > Mid/Small Size Trucks > Dodge Dakota Forum
Reload this Page >

Engine stalls when the air conditioner is turned on

Dodge Dakota Forum Discuss the Dodge Dakota here.

Engine stalls when the air conditioner is turned on

Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Default Engine stalls when the air conditioner is turned on

Hello,

I've been having a few problems with my 2000 quad-cab 4.7, Dakota in the past week. In the beginning the truck stalled on me and the engine light came on; I was able to stabilize the car by simply shutting off the AC; but I still had an erratic rpm needle. I quickly pulled the diagnostic codes from the odometer which where: 1491 and 1282.

1491: Rad Fan Control Relay Circuit
1282: Fuel Pump Relay Control Circuit

I went to AutoZone and found out that the relays in question are identical and swappable; which was kind of cool. The cost me 11 bucks each, I bought three of them just in case. And so I thought I was well on my way to fixing my problems. I removed the old relays and popped in the new ones. I started the truck and the idle was back to normal, I was thrilled! But the engine light was still on; so I pulled the negative cable from the battery to reset the light. When I reconnected the battery the engine light was still on. I ran the on-off routine to check the codes again and this time I only got one diagnostic code 1491. I thought to my self how could this be I've just replaced the relay then it dawned on me that I had not tried the Air conditioner yet. So I turned the truck on (it purred) then I hit the AC and the idle needle went berserk! Then the engine stalled. Ah nuts!

As a side note, when I pulled the Radiator Fan Relay I noticed that it had signs of being hot, I could see on the sides of the relay how it had taken some heat.

So at this point Im not sure what to do, I could use some good advice here.

Thanks for taking the time.

G