Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

2000 Ram 1500 4x4 Ball Jt Replacement ... Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Exclamation 2000 Ram 1500 4x4 Ball Jt Replacement ... Please help.

Good Morning,
I am working on our 2000 Ram 1500 4x4 trying to replace the left side upper and lower ball jts .... and not having any luck .... It took me almost 2.5 hours just to get the darn hub bearing off ... Now I can't get the jts to budge either .... I have a ball jt press but it doesn't want to stay in place ... Not sure if I'm using it right or not .... only other ball jts I've ever done were bolt ins .... There are no snap rings that are holding these things in but they will not budge even a little and I have had mega heat on them to aid with no positive results ....
I was wondering if there was a tutorial anywhere that would help me .... or even better ... pictures/video .....
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated ...
Thanks,
The Doberdewd
I may not have access to this computer for much longer so you can e mail me direct at doberdood@yahoo.com ... It will go to my blackberry ..

Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Banned

I give you some instruction about how to replace the lower ball joint on 2000 Ram 1500.

First of all Raise and support the vehicle with a jack stand on the side the work is to be preformed. Remove the nut on the tie-rod end stud using a wrench. Insert the ball joint separator tool between the tie-rod end and the spindle. Strike it with a hammer until the ball joint pops out of its tapered hole in the spindle. then Remove the cotter pins from the top and bottom ball joint studs & Place the floor jack under the lower control arm close to, but not touching the lower ball joint. Raise the lower control arm just until it begins to lift the vehicle. after this Remove the nuts on both the upper and lower ball joints. Remove the brake caliper by extracting the two bolts holding the caliper to the mounting bracket using the ½-inch-drive ratchet and socket. Insert the ball joint separator between the upper ball joint and the upper control arm and strike it with a hammer until it comes loose. Do the same for the lower ball joint. then Remove the snap ring securing the ball joint on the top-side of the lower control arm using the snap ring pliers. Remove the ball joint using the ball joint installer kit. Slide the smaller driver pipe over the ball joint stud and the larger receiver pipe on the bottom side of the control arm. Position the large clamp over both pipes and press the ball joint out using the ½-inch-drive ratchet and socket.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 AM

i just did this to my g/f 2000 ram it was a 2wd and im not sure if the 4wd are the same but hers were rivited in and ill tell you what, they were the biggest pain in the ***, it took me about 10 hours to do both right and left, upper and lower ball joints... sucked really bad but man it rides soo much better and quiter now!