Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

Build Advice for bulletproofing 2nd gen Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Beginner
Default Build Advice for bulletproofing 2nd gen Dodge Ram

I have a STOCK 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 w/5.9L and stock 3.55 gears. My tire size is 245/75/16. I do not offroad right now but would like to consider the opportunity when upgrades are done. I DO NOT TOW OR HAUL and is my daily driver.

My baby has 93,500 miles on her and I am wanting to learn about my truck and I have only oil service and trans fluid service experience so I am not a mechanic but would like to try.

This is my project and I will excitedly post this as upgrades start happening.

Some issues have arisen and would like to upgrade or replace with better parts so that I dont have to mess with repairs for a VERY long time.

Any advice on parts and/or part numbers for replacements and why they are better would be very helpful. I am looking for super long term solutions if any. I dont care about bling just function.

So here are the questions and remember as bulletproof as possible.

FRONT END/SUSPENSION

1. My ball joints need replaced in the next few months. Can you recommend a bulletproof replacement and is there anything else I should replace or upgrade while I am at it? Axels upgrades?

3. Steering has a lot of play in it. Can you recommend a steering system that I can upgrade or replace it with? Sway bar, pitman arms, etc??

4. At 100K I would like to replace the suspension with a durable long lasting setup.

BRAKES

1. Brakes are pulling to the left. I would like to replace or upgrade the braking system with bulletproof rotors, calipers, stainless braided lines, etc..

2. Is there a need for an upgraded master cylinder?

TRANSMISSION/DRIVETRAIN

1. My tranny is stock. Since I have a tow/HD package it does come with a 2nd trans cooler but I would like to upgrade it. I was looking at either a complete replacement Viper trans or a trans kit from PATC - Http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm but I would have a shop do this.

What are you opinions on this setup and is there anything else I should consider upgrading while I am dropping the trans?

1a. Should I replace or rebuild trans?

2. Best u-joint replacement?

3. Best transfer case replacement/Upgrade? Need strong 4wd.

4. Replace rear end with better and more durable gears and axels? I dont want a blown rear end.

ENGINE

1. I was thinking of just buying a Hughes engine from Hughes engine performace but not sure. Dont want carb. Advice?

2. I will definitely want more horsies while keeping low end and hopefully improving gas mileage. Hughes Air Gap?

3. While I have the intake off, what should I upgrade while it's all apart?

4. Is the 360 engine worth rebuilding with high end parts?

Thats it. I hope everyone can chime in.

Thanks