Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

Intermittent HEAVY vibration 2500 6spd cummins

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:06 AM
Default Intermittent HEAVY vibration 2500 6spd cummins

Greetings to all... Please help me with a problem (s??). I know there is someone smart enough in this forum to help me diagnose my Ram 2500 6spd 4x4 diesel.

Ok, about 10 day ago i noticed a chatter or faint vibration in 2 and 3 gears. The vibration/chatter lasted about a second at the middle to top end of the gear before shifting to the next gear. I chalked it up to clutch chatter as i have about 45k on this clutch. Nothing significant until today.

Out with the family, my wife stated she could hear what i was referring to as chatter. I am a machinist and have fried a lot of my hearing. (I know there is a hearing/listening/wife joke in there somewhere). So, we are in a pretty vacant parking lot and i roll around with little or no throttle in 2 gear. I can barely hear some noise from the rear. Still no clue about the noise or the vibration. So i shift in and out of 4HI. When i shift into 4HI from 2HI everything is fine, the vibration is still there though. When i shift out of 4HI back to 2HI there is a loud pop noise. I had my wife shift in and out of 4HI while i listened from just under the driver door, under the truck. It is a pretty loud pop. Never heard that before and i use 4HI in the snow a lot. So we go shopping. Truck is left back in 2HI. Come out 1 hour later and go to pull out of the parking lot and the truck is vibrating like mad as i roll on 2 gear. Come out of 2 gear into 3 gear and the vibration gets crazy. The whole truck is like a huge vibrator. (another wife joke in there... i know).

So i think it is the transfer case, shift in and out of 4 and try again... no soup... lots of vibration... i mean i push the clutch in and simply rolling is making the truck vibrate. I was about to call for a tow truck when i thought i would try shifting it into 4LO for a spell to see if it would reset the gears a little. there was less vibration in 4LO. when i shifted out of 4LO directly to 2HI, the heavy vibration was back jsut as bad as it was minutes earlier. But then, miraculosly, it stopped and the HEAVY vibration was just gone. I took the opportunity to get my *** home. Along the way home there was a whine at around 50mph. I could still feel the same vibration/chatter in the 2 and 3 gear. But the big vibration did not return.

WHat the hell is going on... Please help. Thanks to all in advance.

Steve