Ford F-150 Forum Discuss the Ford F-150 here.

Any Ford guys have an SVT Lightning?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Default Any Ford guys have an SVT Lightning?

I was at the race track tonight and saw a couple guys with SVTs and one of them said he had 486 hp and 601 tq. He smoked the tires all the way down the track as it didn't help that the track was really slick. Anyway I was curious to know if anyone here has one or wants to discuss them.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Administrator

To be honest with you, if I wanted something that fast, I'd get a car. I personally don't like them things at all and would rather have a Corvette for as much as those things cost

Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I had one of the original (non-supercharged) lightning trucks and it was impressive for the day. It felt stronger than the same year 454SS which I never was that impressed with. I have driven the newer SVT supercharged trucks and they are all that in the truck world. Even though the rear tires will break free in a blink of an eye. I have always enjoyed taking a little rubber off the rear tires. Not good at the track, but fun nonetheless! I have always wondered why GM kind of drops the ball when it comes to their "SS" line. Lets See...
Monte Carlo SS (original) - 305 - Yuck!
Monte Carlo SS (newer) - V-6 - Yuck!
454 SS Trucks - Non Flowing 454 - Yuck!
Cobalt SS - Don't even get me started!
TrailBlazer SS - Actually a half way decent package
Silverado SS - Not that impressive
How about a short bed regular cab Silverado with a hopped up 8.1 in it. Thats what I'm talking about!
I am a GM guy but I have to admit Ford and Dodge both kick our butts when it comes to their performance line - SVT and SRT. Wake up GM wake up!!!!
I was at an auction the other day and was quite impressed with a newer Shelby GT500 mustang, but for the $40,000 it brought I would still be driving a Vette!

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 05-09-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:44 PM

I agree with you on that much power I would like to have a car. And yes I'm not that thrilled with any newer SS models that Chevy has. I saw the youtube video of the new body style Silverado single cab short bed with an LS7 in it. Why isn't that on the market?!? Here in San Diego at the dealership I bought my truck they had a few SS specials on the Malibu and Silverado (which is the exact same setup as I have in my truck but not Z71). They were good looking but I would rather see a 5.3 in the Malibu as an SS with a 6 speed and rear wheel drive. The same goes with the Impalla SS. Whats the deal with only automatics these days and front wheel drive? I really should have been brought up in the real muscle car days. Maybe I'm here now days just to send the message to everyone lol.

Also at the last auto show here they had a new Colorado with a 5.3 in it but the styling of the body just isn't me. I miss the S10...and I would like to have an old Luv with a diesel engine.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Administrator

The Impala SS is dumb...
I drove one awhile back and it has too much torque. They shoudl have made it rear wheel drive so it is a little bit more fun...

On the other hand, i absolutely love the Pontiac G8. It is a awesome looking car, but I think they should have offered it in an AWD format because here in Michigan, rear wheel drive gets old FAST!