Ford F-150 Forum Discuss the Ford F-150 here.

Front collapsed

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Beginner
Default Front collapsed

I ran my truck into a ditch about 5 months ago. The passenger front was in the ditch. The rest of the truck was out. I didn't know the rim was bent until I took it to have my tires rotated. It drove fine, I never knew there was a problem. Of course I put the spare on the front and it is now in the spare rack. Today (Sept. 14, 2012) I went to buy a used riding mower from someone. The roads were bumpy and filled with pot holes. I thought nothing of it. My truck has been driving fine. We got the mower in the back and I headed home. I started hearing that tire making a rubbing noise. When I looked at it the wheel well was closer to the tire. Something collapsed and I can't tell what it is. Nothing seems to have come loose that I can see any way. I'm wondering if a bad shock can be the cause of that side to collapse????

I don't have the money to take it to a shop. I am hoping someone can direct me to the right way of fixing it myself.

Thank You for reading my post.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM
TMW

You didn't say what year and model your truck is. Unless the shock is mounted to the coil spring to support it, it will not make the truck sag. If your truck uses a torsion bar the key mount may be broken. If it's a coil spring maybe the attachment mounting was damaged or broken. Look under the front and compare each side to the other and try to determine where the problem is.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Beginner

Thank you for responding. Sorry I didn't give enough information. But I did fix it. I have a 2004 F-150, new body style. It was the weld that holds the shock bushing and shock together on the bottom A-frame. I guess, when I hit the ditch, it cracked there. Then a few months later it finally broke all together. Took my whole pay check to fix it. Trying to catch back up now. Wouldn't be so bad if I were a TV star. I sure wouldn't complain about making $ 2,000,000.00 an episode.