Ford General Tech Ford tech talk within.

Clicking sound in the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Default Clicking sound in the transmission

my truck is a Ford F250 XL 5.8L 351 V8, with a 5 speed manual. and the last time i drove it it started to click, i searched for the location of the clicking sound, and it was coming from the transmission. any ideas on what could be causeing this would be greatful.

-when in idle, clicking away

- when speeding up and slowing down, clicking sped up and slowed down.
- always a consistent clicking sound, when driveing at different speeds, speeding up and down, as stated above. email me, or just post here. i will be checking rather often

Old 08-27-2009, 04:31 PM

i had the same problem with my 4.6L V8 and it also had the 5 speed manual transmission and mine just went away. i didn't do anything to it, it just stoped. never did figure it out but i don't think its anything major. does your transmission jerk when you throw it in reverse sometimes. it started after that happed to me one day.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 AM

i don't believe my transmission has jerked at all, when i throw it into gear, but i can't exactly remember. well, next time i'm home i'll look into it, and if its nothing, oh well.

thanks for the imput.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:50 PM

well wait. now that i reread your original post i can't recall it clicking while idle it was normally in 5/OD when i noticed it. thats really the only time i can remember it and it was just light and i could only hear it if the radio was low.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Banned

Possible chain slap in the transfer case, or worn R&P (ring and pinion) in the rear axle.

Set the parking brake tight, and have a person cycle the trans from Reverse to Drive and back a few times while you listen for the location of the noise. It will most likely be from the t-case or axle.

There is going to be a small amount of play in both, but I'm guessing that it is the t-case. The noise will continue to get louder over time at which point may be worth replacement. A light clunk from the t-case when cycled from R to D should be no cause for concern

Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned

Possible chain slap in the transfer case, or worn R&P (ring and pinion) in the rear axle.

Set the parking brake tight, and have a person cycle the trans from Reverse to Drive and back a few times while you listen for the location of the noise. It will most likely be from the t-case or axle.

There is going to be a small amount of play in both, but I'm guessing that it is the t-case. The noise will continue to get louder over time at which point may be worth replacement. A light clunk from the t-case when cycled from R to D should be no cause for concern