Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

F250 no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the ideas. My ford dealer told me they could only check the eec-IV unit in a vehicle. So much for my labor and time in taking it off and to them. in your post:

Looose, corroded or broken battery terminals- cleaned the posts and changed both cable ends

Fuel not reaching the injectors check for a clogged fuel filter, or lines also make sure the fuel pump is working properly and make sure that the fuel tank vent lines are not kinked or clogged.- changed fuel filter and have correct pressure at the rail when pumps are grounded

dirty or clogged fuel injectors-?

low cylinder compression...run a compression test-all cylinders check within 10 lbs

defective ignition coils or broken wires leading to them- power to coil but no power out

damaged ignition components

broken or bad wires in the starting circuit-start circuit is good

valve timming off due to timming belt/chain defective or broken- no excessive noise or unusual thunks

defective MAF sensor-?

power goes into EEC-IV relay- power comes out of relay. nothing comes out of EEC-IV.

Can you check and see if another PCM will work for my application?
My part number is F2TF-12A650-FA
My configuration is 5.8 L V-8, automatic transmission- C6 no overdrive. F250 1991 by title. I just don't want to spend $300. on a new computer when Ford dealer tells me it doesn't make them anymore.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

I will look into it for you, I have to be a work here this morning so give me a little while and I will get back to you on it. I get off work at 2pm my time. It is 0520 here now.

Also, If you have power to your coil but no power from the coil does that mean you are not getting any spark? Possible need a new coil?

I appologize if some of the ideas were not relevant to your truck, I was using mine as a example to try and help, some of those may not apply to your truck.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:39 PM

I thought the same thing about the coil but if that was my problem or if the control module on the distributer was bad why would the fuel pumps not work? That is my reasoning for suspecting the EEC-IV. I am pretty sure it is the EEC due to multiple system failure at once.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 AM

Due to memorial day holiday the dealer here is not open for me to ask them about yoru computer. I did ask a buddy of mine though, he says that if you are going to update to a obd 2 style computer, it is a big change.

He says that the newer computer use sensors that were not in the older models, so those would have to be added also the port under the dash will have to be installed so that you can hook up a scan tool later if needed.

He is telling me it is a major change alot of work, may be better off just replacing the one you already have.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:06 AM

I have been able to find F2TF-12A650-FA

on several internet part sites they sell them alot cheaper then in the local autoparts stores, online they are asking $119.00

Old 06-11-2010, 07:23 PM

should have posted sooner. I thank everyone for the suggestions. I bought a computer for the truck- same model as was in the F250 to begin with. I installed it and when I turned the key it started. WOOHOO!!!!! Under $150. in parts including fuel filter, 2 relays battery terminal ends and a computer and my time. Not too bad all in all to have a running truck again. Thanks again friends- joe