Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

Hello and got a question hope this is the right spot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Beginner
Default Hello and got a question hope this is the right spot.

Hello, I am new to the forum and hope this is the correct place to ask this.

I have a 1995 F-250. Around 2 weeks ago I got 4 new tires put on. Well after they got this done (which took forever for some reason) I noticed when I stopped and applied the brakes the brakes squealed like a metal on metal sound.

I decided to wait to see if it just needed to get broken in. Well its 2 weeks later and its getting worse. Funny thing is the only time I dont hear it is when I pull to the left. The Squeal comes from the right. Never heard the sound before the tires were changed. Any Idea's?

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 PM
TruckForum Addict

Perhaps some grease or goop got onto your brake rotors when the tire guys were doing your tires? Tires do not cause brake sounds. Other things do, so the tires themselves aren't the cause of your issue. The issue here is either human error in getting your brake rotors too dirty from something, or it just so happens that your brakes were that far gone that coincidentally your friction material on the pads is worn out at the same time your tires were put on. I would think the shop would tell you about that though.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by NullHead
Perhaps some grease or goop got onto your brake rotors when the tire guys were doing your tires? Tires do not cause brake sounds. Other things do, so the tires themselves aren't the cause of your issue. The issue here is either human error in getting your brake rotors too dirty from something, or it just so happens that your brakes were that far gone that coincidentally your friction material on the pads is worn out at the same time your tires were put on. I would think the shop would tell you about that though.
Yea, The guys said they would be ready to go in a few minutes. 45min later they finaly said it was done...So yea I'm wondering if they didn't rush it. I'll have to take a look.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Administrator

It could be a number of things. It maybe something as simple as a chunk of rust may have broke away from your rotor during the tire change and got wedged between the rotor and pad.
Yeah, I would go back and polity tell them your situation and ask them if they could check it out.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 PM

My truck did this when I first bought it. I took everything apart and cleaned it real well and put it back together and no more squealing.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 AM
TruckForum Addict

Well from doing many sets of tires myself at work, I can attest that 45 minutes isn't all that bad. All I know is that if you have aluminum wheels that are corroded, if you get new ones mounted and balanced properly, it takes roughly an hour to clean the corrosion from all the wheels, put in new valve stems and balance them properly. It can be done faster if you have a helper, but my myself, that sounds like a reasonable wait time.

Now if I were to do your tires, it would take slightly longer, but you would probably not be back later for leaking rims. That is my #2 pet peeve is when someone does a set of tires and doesn't clean the rim properly of corrosion. My #1 pet peeve is a halfass or improper wheel balancing. For a typical counter balanced wheel, weights are only applied in one spot on the edge of the wheel, and the correct weight must also be used. Your truck probably has alloy wheels, which take either P or MC type weights with the anti-corrosion coating on them. If you see wheel weights clocked at all different places on your wheels, they did not do it right. You should only have one or two weights on one place on each side of the wheel.

But for TLDR, I agree with In2Trux. Go back and explain what's going on and see if they'll take a look for you.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Beginner

Yea and it was 45min after the guy told me they would be right out. I got there at 11am and left at almost 1pm.

Well from doing many sets of tires myself at work, I can attest that 45 minutes isn't all that bad. All I know is that if you have aluminum wheels that are corroded, if you get new ones mounted and balanced properly, it takes roughly an hour to clean the corrosion from all the wheels, put in new valve stems and balance them properly. It can be done faster if you have a helper, but my myself, that sounds like a reasonable wait time.

Now if I were to do your tires, it would take slightly longer, but you would probably not be back later for leaking rims. That is my #2 pet peeve is when someone does a set of tires and doesn't clean the rim properly of corrosion. My #1 pet peeve is a halfass or improper wheel balancing. For a typical counter balanced wheel, weights are only applied in one spot on the edge of the wheel, and the correct weight must also be used. Your truck probably has alloy wheels, which take either P or MC type weights with the anti-corrosion coating on them. If you see wheel weights clocked at all different places on your wheels, they did not do it right. You should only have one or two weights on one place on each side of the wheel.

But for TLDR, I agree with In2Trux. Go back and explain what's going on and see if they'll take a look for you.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah something must have happened if you got your truck back that long after they told you "It would be right out" ... that's just not cool.

Definitely take it back and see what they can do for you, or at least give you some sort of explanation. And by 45 minutes is reasonable for a set of tires, I mean you give me your truck, and it comes back to you setting outside the shop for you to get in and drive away. Not 45 minutes after it was "done" .... lol that's just bad service. They could at least tell you that they ran into difficulties with your truck, or their equipment, or the tires or something.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Beginner

LOL yea I had that thought also. So take it by there this friday after I get payed.

Yeah something must have happened if you got your truck back that long after they told you "It would be right out" ... that's just not cool.

Definitely take it back and see what they can do for you, or at least give you some sort of explanation. And by 45 minutes is reasonable for a set of tires, I mean you give me your truck, and it comes back to you setting outside the shop for you to get in and drive away. Not 45 minutes after it was "done" .... lol that's just bad service. They could at least tell you that they ran into difficulties with your truck, or their equipment, or the tires or something.