Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

how easy to replace tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Default how easy to replace tranny?

Hi--

I'm new to working on American vehicles, and so will be asking a lot of stupid questions.

I have a 1985 F-350 with a tranny that has apparently frozen up. (Just to be clear, that's "transmission," not "transsexual.") While I'll check the level of the transmission fluid, I don't have much hope that that's the problem. The history: I bought the truck cheap in Reno in order to get myself and my motorcycle back to Denver. Until the truck warmed up, putting it into gear would kill the engine, but I thought it was an engine tuning problem.

I made it to Denver OK, but driving through the city, the power dropped out a few times. Then there was a clunk, and it wouldn't shift in or out of gear, and the truck wouldn't roll and had to be towed with all wheels off the ground. The engine still ran freely.

I'm looking into making it run again before selling, as the engine is OK, it has new rubber, and a stake bed with electric lift gate. If it's too difficult, I'll part it out or sell it at a loss.

How easy is it to replace the tranny myself? I've dropped the engine out of a VW bus way too many times, so I have some mechanical experience. I'm assuming that I don't have to drop the engine here. How do I identify which model of tranny I have, and what would be the approximate replacement cost? Can I do it with basic tools and an engine jack? How heavy is the tranny?

I'll be getting a repair manual soon, but any help you folks could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:06 AM
Default RE: how easy to replace tranny?

EASY ENOUGH..ITS 2WD,RIGHT?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:44 AM

>EASY ENOUGH..ITS 2WD,RIGHT?

Yep. Although currently, none of the wheels are driving anywhere...

Old 12-27-2007, 12:59 PM

its no truffer than anything else...just unbolt crap till she comes out