Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

Sound insulation in Sonoma cab ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Beginner
Default Sound insulation in Sonoma cab ??

Good morning all..

My 2004 Sonoma 4.3l 4x4 is so loud in the cab at highway speed that I cannot hear the passenger sitting beside me… Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it ?? Thanks, the truck is great but the noise is awful…

Thanks in advance for any suggestions….// Ernie in NH

Old 02-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Administrator

I think the first thing you need to do is to figure out WHAT the noise is.
Maybe if you fix the problem your ride will be quieter

Old 02-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Beginner

Hi guys…

Well the suggestion to "find out what it is and then fix it ! " is GREAT BUT I cannot find it, which is why I hoped that someone might have solved the same problem. The 'ROAR" is 1) related to engine speed, the higher the rpm the louder the roar ! 2) it seems to be the wicked strong blast of air being provided by the fan ! So I replaced the Fan Clutch with a new OEM unit ! No fix! The roar is as loud as ever !! The belts are also new, and the stuff driven off the serpentine belt is also A-OK ! As a HINT, when I replaced the Fan Clutch, I started the engine for about 20 seconds, and it was as quiet as a 'home air conditioner" for comparison. I can't believe that the OEM design fan would produce such a roar, or the truck would never have sold when the model was new.

Maybe a T/C controlled Fan Clutch would be the answer, but if that were true, many of your S10 and Sonoma owners would already have done that and have a solution posted.. So that may not be the way to go either.

The fan itself has more, and larger blades than Ive ever seen on an engine fan before.. Todays temps outside were a high of 16 degF… in my opinion when the truck is first started at these cold temps the fan should NOT be engaged, but it seems this fan is designed to be "always engaged"…. what do you guys say, or What is your experience ?? Do any of you know of fan options ?? or does anyone have an opinion other than my theory that I might look into as a fix ??

So as to the suggestion to "fix it"… I'd love to IF I knew what to fix, and at this point I'm stumped by what GMC decided was a proper solution in 2004 ! The roar remains as loud as ever, and I just need a direction to go… got any ??

Again… Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer…. / Ernie in NH

Old 03-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Other ideas is to take your interior apart. See if the insulation and sound proofing has been changed or removed.
Other then that, I would switch out that over sized clutched cooling fan back to the recommended stock fan

Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Beginner

Hi Glenn…

Thanks, Ive been thinking along the same lines… The first would be a summer project, but the second ( fan exchange ) I though I would order from Auto Parts Warehouse.. They have a selection !

I also thought that MAYBE ?? Even though I can go from '2-wheel' to '4-wheel' and back with no problems, maybe the vacuum to the hubs is not disengaging them, and that they are ALWAYS engaged ??? Think thats possible ??

( ANYBODY ?? )

Thanks again…..// Ernie in NH