General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

Heat/Sound Insulation Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Default Heat/Sound Insulation Installation

What's goin' on everybody? I'm new to the forum and had a few questions about a little project I'm workin' on. I've got a '90 K5 Blazer and I'm in the middle of restorin' it. I ordered new carpet, fiber/foil heat shield, dynamat, and an ethyl vinyl acetate sound deadener to help spruce up the interior a little bit. Before I get started on it, I wanna make sure I'm gonna do it right.
First, I'll lay down the EVA sound deadener. As I understand it, this kind of sound deadener needs to be applied with heat. Will a small torch provide a sufficient amount of heat if held 4"-6" away from the material for a minute or so?
Second, I'll lay down the fiber/foil heat shield. Will I need to spray an adhesive on the Eva material, or will the fiber/foil material stick to it without adhesive?
Third, I'll spray the top (foil side) of the fiber/foil material with adhesive and install the carpet.

After thinkin' about it, I decided that the fiber/foil insulator and Eva sound deadener will probably be enough for the floor of the Blazer and have decided to use the dynamat in other areas.
Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Derek-