General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

2008 GMC MAX problems

Old 07-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Default 2008 GMC MAX problems

Hello all...

I have a friend that is not too savy with the internet or with computer controlled trucks/cars. He has an 08 GMC MAX that has had issues from the beginning. It runs VERY lean at a 55 MPH cruise speed and the power band is not where he needs it to be for pulling. When at 55, the truck runs like junk and he is extremely disappointed. The pulling power is also not of his likeness, as he needs to be in the 3000-6000 RPM range to pull any hills.

He has been told by the dealer that the lean issue is basically to meet the cafe standards, and not to expext to have it changed any way.

He is at the point that he is considering an aftermarket engine management system. We would like to know what systems are out there and recommended. He would like to be able to better manage the air/fuel mixture, along with hopefully changing the torque band to a lower range. He would also like to raise the 1 - 2 shift point and lower the 3 - 4 shift point for better tranny control. He recently had a tranny failure pulling an 8000 lb camper up a mountain that was repaired by the dealer.

Thanks in advance for any and all help that can be sent our way,

Mike

Last edited by beamer; 07-28-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I would give Justin @ Black Bear Performance a call and he can help you with a custom tuned computer.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
I would give Justin @ Black Bear Performance a call and he can help you with a custom tuned computer.
Is this an entire replacement computer that can be removed and the origonal put back in if desired for warranty purposes?

Is it better to do something like this or to get a tunable link system and tune it ourself?

I am not familiar with this particular system, but I do have an 87 Buick Regal T (same as a Gran National), that I have a tuning ability for it. Just need to learn some on this interface.

Thanks for your inputs,
Mike

Old 08-05-2009, 12:43 PM

Justin Uses EFI live to tune a pcm/tcm to send back to you. if you want to make any changes then you would have to get a retune from justin.

You can buy the EFI Live program, but it is a little expensive and is not easy if you dont know what you are doing. Justin also teaches EFI live courses so you could look into that.