General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

electrical problem?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Default electrical problem?

I have a 1997 Chevy 1500 pickup, 4wd, 5-speed manual w/ a 305. Over the past few months, every once in awhile when I use a turn signal the engine would die. If it was in gear, it would start back up, and if not, it would start with the key with no problem. The other day, two problems manifested themselves at the same time: bad fuel pump, and the truck wouldn't start. I replaced the fuel pump yesterday, but now when I turn the key nothing electrical comes on (including the pump). I hotwired the ignition coil directly into thepositive terminal of the battery, and it will start now and run for a few seconds and then die. When the engine cuts out, I can still hear the fuel pump running. If I keep my foot on the gas, the engine will keep running. After a few rounds of starting it and it dying, it started but none of the gauges or lights on the dashboard came on. I turned on the headlights, and the gauges and dashboard lights came on, but the tach was reading 800 rpm even though I had the engine revved up to at least 2000. Then the engine died. I don't know a whole lot about electrical systems, but is this something I can fix myself?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Default RE: electrical problem?

Ok..start with the "no dash lights"..something is not powerring up...you have one of those big Maxi-fuses blown...or the ignition switch is burnt up...look at those maxi fuses,preferably with a test light...make sure they power up on either side with the key on